Personal Locator Beacons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have admittedly carried a plb for almost a year that was given to me as a gift last christmas. as many people have stated their mothers are their biggest supporters as is mine (keeps picture book of photos i send her and shows it to everyone she knows). she is also very paranoid and as i have hiked 100% solo for the last couple of years she started to get worried (especially come winter). somehow she saw an ad for one of these things and insisted i have it. i would have rather have purchased many other pieces of gear or gallons of gas with that money, but it gives her some piece of mind which is the least i can do after all she's given me. i forget it's in my pack most of the time and it would be the absolute last resort. i leave detailed trip info. with someone even for the shortest dayhike and stick to my plan (regardless of how much i want to push on to the next peak, etc.). that i consider my real contingency plan along with my wits (and an expired wfr certification....).
the plb is so my mom can sleep at night.

bryan