Pharaoh lake (NY) hiking conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobK

Reaction score
I plan on a trip into Pharaoh Lake (from the south) soon and was looking for comments on a few things. I’ve only been in there in winter before and neither issue is a problem then. First, I’ve heard (or read) that the trail is quite wet for a bit in the beginning (I assume just before the trail register and just after the “summer” parking area). I’d like to know any update on that situation in general – and I am assuming that a lot depends on recent rainfall. If wet, how long, and deep is it and would bare footing (or sneakers) be an option to avoid getting boots soaked at the start.

Also, I can’t find any reference to a trail or path that connects the marked trails on the North/west shoreline to the Eastern end that would allow a full loop around the lake. I know in theory anything can be bushwhacked, but was wondering if the shoreline could be traversed without much difficulty. I was considering a day trip loop trip to include Pharaoh Mtn. north to near Crane pond then south to the eastern end of Pharaoh Lake. With the potential of staying in a lean-to on the North/west shore that would keep the loop distance reasonable. Any other suggestions including recommendations on the best shelters welcomed.

Trail Conditions ?

I was in that area from the south - Spring 2005 - From the parking area to the trail has been flooded for the past few years. I suspect a beaver dam is the problem. It is probably a few hundred feet of swamp and a deep water section that you would have to cross.

An option is to take a path around to the east and bushwack to the trail after you get around the water. I suspect the water will be high after the recent rain. Also note that this area has been used by hunters - I suggest wearing saftey orange.

Another option is to enter the area from the north. There is a State Park between Ticonderoga and Schroon Lake that has better access to the area. You can go all the way around the lake but there is a stretch on the north that gets a little sketchy. Bring a good map and compass and you shouldn't have a problem.

While there take a hike up Treadway Mt. it worth the trip. Good Hiking!

The campground adksteve refers to is Putnam Pond http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/do/camping/index.html . There are many options from there. The quickest would be the Swing Trail past Grizzle Ocean. This would bring you to Pharaoh Lake just south of the Split Rock Bay lean-to, which is one of the nicest lean-to on the lake. The bushwhack to close the loop is .6 miles. Discover the Eastern Adirondacks by Barbara McMartin is a good resource.

Don't worry about getting around the lake. That path is easy to follow to finish the loop. I've never used my compass because you're following the shoreline a bit back.

Since you've only gone in the winter, you're in for a real treat.

I recall that a bridge of some sort was put in over the beaver marsh area at the beaver brook trailhead. Not sure where I read this but I think I read about this summer.

Two years ago the bushwack trail on the eastern side of the lake was a fully marked trail.

Warren said:
I recall that a bridge of some sort was put in over the beaver marsh area at the beaver brook trailhead. Not sure where I read this but I think I read about this summer.
DEC had this project scheduled for this past September(well, actually the last few Septembers...) but when I asked my DEC lean-to contact last month he said: "getting there." So, perhaps we'll get lucky and they'll get it done before the freeze.

As Warren mentioned the short cut is very easy to follow. The shoreline is easy terrain anyways.