photography secrets

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrichard

Reaction score
I'm drooling at the richness, texture, and range of some of the photos in the Top 8 photos thread. Anyone want to share some tricks of the trade?

I think most of us understand the primary rule is to take lots of pictures. And that the basics of composition is the rule of thirds, perspective, foreground/background.

But how do you get

1) sharp photos
2) good texture
3) a full range of colors without washouts?
... all while using a camera you can fit into your pack?

Do I need to upgrade my Canon S60 (now about 5 years old) for something with image stabilization?

I'm drooling at the richness, texture, and range of some of the photos in the Top 8 photos thread. Anyone want to share some tricks of the trade?

I think most of us understand the primary rule is to take lots of pictures. And that the basics of composition is the rule of thirds, perspective, foreground/background.

But how do you get

1) sharp photos
2) good texture
... all while using a camera you can fit into your pack?

Do I need to upgrade my Canon S60 (now about 5 years old) for something with image stabilization?

Short and simple?:

1) Tripod is best, sat on something solid next, Image Stabilization also a great thing to have.
2) Photoshop: bump up contrast
3)Photoshop: Bump up saturation (depending on taste it depends on how much)

Do you need to upgrade? Well, Image Stabilization is a HUGE help for hand hold shooting. But a simple small tripod, even the gorrilapod thing that can attatch to a tree, and use of the self timer can get you nice sharp photos.

Also, there is a photo forum here you can check out (you need to subscribe to it under your user CP

Brian

Yes, Rule #1 works for me. Take tons of pictures. Then run them continuously on your computer or viewer.
I have one of those flat screen viewers and just put the chip in and let it run.
After awhile , the good shots become evident.
Try to learn from what you have seen and use that knowledge next time out.

Ton of pictures....

Light is a key also, my personal best shots are early morning or very late afternoon. So if looking for summit shots, you're camping up high or starting before sunrise. (or staying at an AMC or RMC facility.

The question is, how to capsulize the world of photo savvy into a few brief bits of advice. Here's my try:

1) sharp photos

a) Learn to hold your camera steady, and squeeze the shutter button. There are many photo texts and web sites that can show you the way on this.

b) Use a camera support (tripod, monopod, tabletop, boulder, etc.) to help steady the camera at slower shutter speeds (lower light conditions).

c) Learn how your focus system and mechanism works, and how to manipulate or control it for optimum results.

2) good texture

a) Pick your lighting carefully. It should be “directional,” i.e. relatively low to the horizon, and come from an angle that to the side of the camera lens axis. Best lighting usually come early and late in the day.

b) See 1.a and 1.b.

a) Learn to control your ISO, shutter speed and lens f/stop combinations to avoid overexposure (that yields washed-out tones) and underexposure (that yields dark, “muddy” tones). If these controls are not available, learn to use each of the various automatic combinations to best advantage.

b) Sometimes you will have to sacrifice either highlight (bright area) or shadow (dark area) texture and detail to get what you want. See 3.a.

c) Learn to use flash as a fill-in light to brighten dark areas or shadows (that are relatively close to the camera and flash position).

It is important to snap more photos than you may be accustomed to doing. But shoot smart, keeping good track of what you did so you can replicate success and avoid replicating unsatisfactory results. Review your results critically.

Overriding rule: engage brain before turning camera on (easy to type, not always easy to do).

G.

Last edited:
Technical pieces aside, learn to make each photo have a subject and tell a story. Most everyone will tell you that the generic, high-noon landscapes are not satisfactory. They lack a subject, and the light is not good. Alas, that is when most of us are on top of a mountain. Clear blue skies are not interesting.

Join the photography sub-group - go through the first 2 dozen threads or so - a lot of really good advice there. It helped me out enormously (and I have a long way to go... I'll never be Jim Salge for example.)

Tim

There are two "hidden" forums on the site, one for kayaking / canoeing and one for nature photography. They are "hidden" because not everyone is interested in reading them.

Info on accessing the kayak forum is at:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14099

Info on accessing the nature photography forum is at:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15399

As was suggested, read through the sticky threads and you can also go to the main photography forum page, scroll to the bottom to Display Options, change the pull down "From The" selection from "last month" to "beginning" and read all the threads from the forum.

A good way to advance skills is to routinely post a picture in that forum and ask for help with it. Use that advice the next time you shoot and try to continually improve. The basic "rules" can help you improve your photography overnight, but it will take a while to continue improving.

- darren