Mt. Mansfield and the forgotten camera 10-19-08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McRat

Reaction score
There are times when I realize what a fool I am. If you are ever headed to the mountains of Vermont, bring a camera, particularly when enjoying that wonderful mini-season between peak foliage and early ice.

I did manage to take a few mental pictures, but I’m not working with the best camera here so please bear with me.

Pic #1 – The classic shot of New Hamshire/Brian’s car - hatch opened and gear being assembled. You will notice in this picture that Brian did not bring along his camera either. If you look across the street there is a signpost without a sign in the parking area across the street. We followed the faint path a ways in.

#2 – This is a pic of Brian and I staring at the map. There is a confused expression as it has become clear after a short distance that this is not the Long trail. The ground is slightly muddy, but covered in crisp brown leaves. There is a steep walk up to a ridgeline in the background.

#3 – Picture of Brian holding up my recently dropped map.

#4 – Looks very similar to #3, except the background has changed.

#5 – Looks like the last, though Brian is looking a little more exasperated. At this point it was decided that perhaps he should carry the map.

#6 – Russ with compass in hand, smiling. The Long trail has been found again. Though the mini Bushwhack was fun, it was nice walking on a trail of rocks instead of leaf covered mud.

#7 – The next pic would be of looking at the rocky summit through the trees, the blue skies as a backdrop to the rocky face of the summit which looks closer than it is. The lighting is excellent and the yellow and browned leaves left on the birch trees cling against the light breezes.

#8 – Privy pic with ‘Do Not Pee in Outhouse’ sign. You can’t pass up the classics. If you look further up the trail, you see traces of ice reflecting off of the rocks.

#9 Here we reach the col between the Chin and Adams apple. The trees are much shorter here and the alpine gardens are near. Other groups are scrambling up to the summit in the background while the foreground features the dried russet-colored grasses, kissed with rime ice.

#10 Summit shot – Brian enjoying a giant insulated mug of ravioli, with a dozen people crowding around the brass benchmark. Cloudless blue skies and the short shadows of noon.

#11 Another goofy Russ shot – Stamping on the benchmark while celebrating the one moment where I could conclusively say I was higher than anyone in Vermont. Which says a lot, actually.

#12 Photos of the White Mountains – Brian and I debate which pics are which. I’m pretty sure I can make out the Presidential Range by the three sharp summits of the Northern Presis.

#13 Photos of the Adirondaks – Brian and I have nothing to debate, having discovered that we are too far out of our element or expertise to even try guessing which is which.

#14 One of several points where we stopped to let the crowds by, the whole ridge offered 180-360 degree views, with rock and post-season alpine garden to block the views. The bright blue skies risk overpowering the image. Perhaps Brian can photoshop some clouds in here later.

#15 In the midst of one of the prettiest ridge walks I have ever been on, we come across the Subway trail junction and a small sign pointing back the way we came. “View 0.5 mi -->”

#16 Close to the nose and parking lot, a group of three overweight people in sweatpants walking gingerly along the slightly icy bog bridges. “I think we’re almost there!” shouts one.

#17 Shot of Brian and I, we decided to step back to suppress laughter. When they completed the last thirty feet they began cheering each other. Brian and I are red faced and grinning. It was another minute before we could emerge from the trees without offending their expedition party.

#18 Brian and I on the auto road. A fairly smooth dirt road lined with evergreens, rock, the autumn colors set off the large icicles hanging off the ledges.

#19 Snacking on the porch of the Octagon House. The pleasant views to the east, no crowds in the shot, every color from the green of the golf course to late clinging foliage, and the bare trees halfway up the surrounding mountains. The empty lines of the flagpole banged gently in the breeze like the halyards on a sailboat.

#20 The Haselton trail - The thrills of walking down ski slopes. Open views, easy conversation, the occasional slip up.

#21 The Haselton trail – Back in the trees, plenty of muddy or icy rock.

#22 The Haselton trail – Here is where it crosses another ski trail. We decide the Ski trail is much prettier and head back that way

#23 The classic look back – the sun is mostly behind the ridge, but peeks through along the jagged edges of the Mansfield profile, lighting up the contours well.

#24 The Long Trail trailhead sign… about 50 feet to the left of where we went in.

Here is where my mental 110 ran out of film. All things considered, a couple of Fools got out on a pleasant stomp, using a route that will probably not be duplicated any time soon. I enjoyed the trip so much, I have begun second-guessing my decision to finish on Saddleback and the Horn, but the final two await.

In the end, I’m kind of glad my daughter Squeaky backed out. It gives me a great excuse to hike this pleasant trip all over again.

Last edited:
Nice!!

Loved the pics...they made me feel like I was there right beside you. :eek:

Sometimes the mind takes better pictures, just the sharing is hard!

Ahhhhh, what a great day! It was actually kind of nice to just get out you and I. As you mentioned the "McRat Show" was not required, and inevitably when that happens "New Hapmshires Power Hour of Comedy" has to come out in turn. Here it was just Russ and Brian, out for a walk on a beautiful day. I must say this was by no means one of my speedier ascents. I caught a nasty cold last Monday, and while I am mostly back to normal (health wise that is :rolleyes: ) I was still a bit congested and the stuff that I was blowing out of my nose was the fodder "The Exorcist" writers dream of. :eek:

The start of the trip sure was...interesting. To my credit I had neither map or GPS (*cough*Rus did though*cough* ;) ) and did no reasearch for this trip other than to find where the trail lot was. Of course less than 45 minutes into the trip I DID have a map on me. I guess Russ just has something against MapAdventures maps or something. :D

I am kind of glad we skipped the "easy" way of Profanity and kept on going along the Long Trail. The rock scrambling was really quite fun and made a relatively moderate trip a little bit more challenging. And that ridgewalk.....VERY nice!

Sitting out on the Octagon House was another of the more memorable highlights. After having plenty of company all day from the trail to the summit, ridge to the Auto road, it was nice to just drop pack, jump up onto a picknick table and enjoy solitude while we ate snacks and soaked in the late evening sun. Complete quiet but for the gentle tap of the clips on the flag poles and the occasional pun or joke bandied about by Russ or I. Granted there was a moment or two where we looked over at the tram building however quarters of a mile away and wished we could get some hot food and liquid refreshment, but hey, we are on a mountain afterall! ;)

And I tell ya, I MUCH prefer having taken the ski trail down instead of the Hasselton towards the end. It was a matter of rocky pounding interspersed with occasional walks on a grassy ski slope. We chose the ski slope instead as even though it was a bit steeper going down at least we were not getting pounded on the rock hopping.

For giggles, when we got back to the car, we drove through Smugglers notch. I was a bit disappointed though. We saw no Smugglers, no thieves or skallywags.....just tons of overweight and old tourists in jeans and T-shirts. :confused: And of course no trip to Vermont would be complete without sitting in the car for 45 minutes at a virtual standstill a mile from the Sharon exit. Russ was expecting blood, gore and explosions, and in the end all we saw was a manless scaffolding UNDER the bridge and nothing on top....ok, yeah, THAT was fun :evil: . And the day ended with a gourmet dinner at Chez Wendys where I had a fine angus sandwich with bacon (murder by bacon, heart attack by grease...I can't remember the name :p ) and a large helping of finely crisped potatos cooked in some unidentifiable liquid fat. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

Brian

Russ, your imagination never ceases to amuse me!

BTW, did you run into Silverfox and friend Claude up there? Believe Claude was finishing the NE67 on Mansfield yesterday.

:)

I don't think so....lemme go back and check the pictures and see :eek:

great TR! fascinating... i've got a few of those photos in my mind as well...Mt. Mansfield is beautiful place...

haha

haha,
great report and photos, thanks for sharing!

#23 The classic look back – the sun is mostly behind the ridge, but peeks through along the jagged edges of the Mansfield profile, lighting up the contours well.

this is by far my favorite photo!!

mansfield is a cool mountain for sure.

Fun trip report to read. That mental camera is always tough - there seems to be a bug in it that keeps deleting files.

hi

Missed this report before

but love the pics... number 16 does it for me..quite a few in not quite the right gear on this ridge

we looked for you guys but must have crossed paths at a random view or summit as our routes were reversed..we ascended haselton..many underequipped hikers on this day..our groups would have stood out..oh...wait..we did have 3 cameras......

certainly was a great day