Pisgah in jeopardy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toe Cozy

Reaction score
Springfield, Springfield!. Avatar: Spruce Peak Kim
I just read this article about proposed decommisioning of Pisgah State Park as part of a 10 year plan for NH Parks and Recreation. I wanted to share this information with the hope that the more people who chime in it will show the Parks Division the full value of Pisgah. Pisgah is a great place to roam and wander and swim in South western NH.

Kilburn Pond is one of my favorite places in New England.

Public comment on the proposed plan is open until July 11. Here is the email for the Division of Parks and Recreation. [email protected] <[email protected]>

It's really more than just Pigsah. There's a total of 27 State Parks on the list for closure/transfer.

Here's the full list of Parks that are proposed for "alternative management strategies" (i.e., selling/closure).

Here's the original Union Leader Article as well.

The one that surprises me the most on here is Cardigan, although there are a number of parks on here that I've been to and are wonderful parks. Chesterfield Gorge was showing signs of budgetary issues with some of it's facilities (and I use that term loosely. The port-a-potty was not fit for use) last spring when I was there, so I guess I'm not overly surprised about it's presence on the list.

Christa,

Thanks for pointing out that it's a bigger issue than just Pisgah. I didn't mean to overlook that aspect intentionally. Due to where I live and that I have spent a lot of time at Pisgah, it has a very special place in my heart. When I saw the article in the Brattleboro Reformer it also just focused on Pisgah, although it mentioned that there was a list of parks being considered for decommisioning.

I'm surprised that Cardigan State Park is on the list too. Thanks for the added info!

I'm surprised that Cardigan State Park is on the list too.
Note that half of the signs say Cardigan State Forest, really Pisgah and Cardigan are managed more like forests than parks and should move to Forests and Lands instead of Parks.

As long as the land continues to be preserved, I think that is the important issue. Volunteers would certainly step in to maintain the trail systems, and for day use, facilities are mostly unnecessary. This might be a good thing for Pisgah, adding more to its wilderness feel.

In fact, I'd be ok if most of the NH State Parks were converted over to "forests" and managed differently. Close all the facilities and campsites, leave open the trailheads and land. Pawtuckaway SP gets many of its users that never drive anywhere near the gate.