Planning for White Mountains

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adksteve

Reaction score
My son and I just completed our Adk 46 in mid October. It took us about 14 months. Now we are planning the 48 peaks in the Whites. I'm looking for advise for how, where and dates for starting our new adventure in the spring. I just received the AMC White Mountain Guide and the 4000 Footer Guide Books.

We would like to make the best use of our time. We will be traveling from near Lake George, NY which will be about a 3-4 hour drive. We would like to plan some long weekend trips and cover some multi-peak loops. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

PS: We are spending this winter hiking some more ADK Winter Peaks as well as a few hikes in the Catskills.

Steve

My approach was a little different from the norm (I think). I decided to section hike the AT in 2002. When I got halfway throuh the Whites I realized I was hitting a bunch of 4Ks. So I made sure I ht those off the trail as well (Eisenhower, Monroe, Jefferson and Moriah). By the time I was through with NH, I think I had about 20.

Then I went back in the summer of 2003 and did a Hut-to-Hut trek and picked up a few I had missed: North Twin, 2 Bonds, Galehead, Zwaland, Tom, Field Willey, Isolation and Adams. Then in 2004 I did the Killkenny Ridge Trail with Funky Freddy in July and got Cabot and Waumbek and what I called the cross Pemi trek in August and got Flume,Liberty, Owlshead, Bondcliff and Hale (plus a bunch the others again).

So in 4 backpacking trips I did everything north of the Kanc (alas, except Cannon). Only now I'm picking off those towards the south in day hikes. Edit: I just realized the Hancocks and Carrigain are north of the Kanc and I haven't done them yet. Whatever. Maybe I should have said "well to the north of the Kanc". :) Anyway, I'm saving Carrigain for last on all my lists (NE4Ks, NEHH, NEFF)

So for me fewer multiday treks worked a lot better than umpteen weekends. I'm from NYC, so my "comute" is longer than yours. Besides, I like to backpack.

One other point: pick up all the NEHH that are on or near your trips while you are at it. That way I got Horn, Bulge and the Weekses while I was bagging Cabot and Waumbek (and NE Cannonball on the day I didn't bag Cannon :( ). You get the idea. It's called "leave no stragglers". You may not ever do the NEHH list, but if you decide to do it later, you'll have a big head start.

Others will tell you how to get this or that and the other thing in a day, but this was my approach.

Have fun
Pb

Last edited:
I finished in the '80s and did each peak on a separate hike as I live locally but I think the loop "clumps" are fairly obvious if you get a big map, mark all the 4K summits, and then study the patterns--the Kinsmans + Cannon, the Franconia peaks + Garfield, the Bonds + Zealand, etc. As I think back to how I'd do it differently, I guess I'd make sure to get Owlshead done early (viewless peaks are not my favorite hikes) and save a great one for the end. Starting date advice depends on snowfall this winter. I guess I'd say to start with the more popular hikes that are likely to be broken out--hikes off forest roads that are closed for winter obviously won't be. Postholing is really tedious. Also, your longest daylight days should go to the longest hikes, e.g., Isolation, unless you like to hike by flashlight. I hit the trail at daybreak for that one. If you're planning on multi-peak hikes, you're thinking of backpacking or hut-hopping. If the latter, there are busy dates that you'll want to avoid at the huts. If the former, you won't want to time your trip to the Bonds for the busiest weekends either as that shelter area fills quickly and the overflow is a rather unattractive site. That's it for now.

I strongly recommend "Hikes in Northern New England" by Kodas et al -- it covers most of the AT in NH and ME and gives quite a bit more info on what to look forward to on the trail than the WM Guide. Alas, it won't cover the non-AT 4Kers (e.g. Sandwich Range, Carrigain, Hancocks, Tecumseh, Osceola, Isolation, Owl's Head, Hale, Tom, Field, Willey, Waumbek or Cabot -- can't remember whether it covers "near-miss" peaks like Cannon or Flume or North Twin or the Bonds. did I miss any?) Mohamed Ellozy also has an excellent homepage on WM hiking.

I'm not a backpacker so I can't give much advice on how to conduct a grand tour, except for one thing: there are a few areas worth hiking which don't have any 4Kers. The one that really stands out is the Mahoosuc Range (well, Old Speck is 4000ft but it's in Maine.)

Also leave yourselves lots of time to amble around the Presidential Range in early June. (peak wildflower season, one of my weaknesses :D )

I started the 48 in may of '03 and finished in august of '04. There are several twosies and threesies that you can hit like I did. Maybe even 4 at a time if your're more ambitious. I did everything as a day trip.

Tom, Field and Willey are probably the easiest group of 3.

Jackson, Pierce and Eisenhower, you could squeeze in Monroe as well. If I had been alone that day, I would have probably done it.

Bondcliff, Bond and West Bond. I went out and back from the Kanc. Depending on the status of Lincoln Woods next year, you might also consider going from the Zealand end, and then you can bag Zealand as well.

Carter Dome, South Carter, Middle Carter. I would have done this, except it was pouring cold rain at the top of Carter Dome, and that wasn't much fun.

Galehead, North and South Twin from the Gale River trail. You could possibly hit Garfield too. Although I went across Garfield Ridge from Garfield to Galehead and that was enough for me. It was a very humid day.

Cannon, North and South Kinsman.

I also did an epic journey across Jefferson, Adams and Madison in one day from Caps Ridge, out and back. It is an awesome trip, all but the first and last mile above treeline.

Then there are the obvious doubles that probably everybody does:
North and South Hancock

North and Middle Tripyramid (I really recommend the slides, and don't recommend Sabaday brook)

Lafayette and Lincoln along with the masses

Flume and Liberty (again I recommend the Flume Slide)

Osceola and East Peak

Wildcat A + D (I would recommend going from Pinkham to Lost Pond first as a warmup and not starting right at Glen Ellis Falls, too much climbing too soon)

Passaconaway and Whiteface

And I would definitely try to get Owl's head, Tecumseh, the Hancocks, Cabot, Waumbek, Hale, Zealand, Tom, Field and Willey out of the way as soon as you can. That way you'll be able to enjoy yourself on summits that actually have a view.

Personally, I think the best views are on the Bonds, South Twin, Carragain and any of the Presidentials.

Good luck, and maybe someday when I get around to them I'll have to ask you about the ADKs.

Hey Ray... not sure our friend is looking to hike these mountains the fastest... but yes... Cave Dogs route was rather quick and direct. Seavers itinerary can be found by going here:

http://www.vermontphoto.com/wildwhites/WildWhitesActualTimes.htm

These speed records are items of great controversy.. as I have found out..

At any rate... the best way to hike the 48 in a year is by doing longer treks, may they be A LONG DAY of multiple peaks contected by ridge line (common), Or by doing some over nighters and checkin them off over a series of days. I hiked 36 from Mid-May to Labor day this past year with 2 weekends off from hiking. I do know some people who have done them all in 1 year by going EVERY weekend sometimes twice. But definately do some ridge walking to snag 'em. Just have fun... thats the rule. Your finishing the list means no less and no more than someone who did them in 3 days or 50 years.

And lest we not forget... www.48movie.com

A great way to start off would be to stay at the Shapleigh Bunkhouse at the AMC Highland Center (I know, blasphemy). Do Tom, Field, and Willey on one day, Eisenhower, Pierce and Jackson the next. If you feel particularly ambitious, one of the best hikes around is to add Monroe to the second day's itinerary. A fairly long, but very satisfying day. You would stay both nights at the Shapleigh Bunkhouse.

If you can plan the time, a Pemi loop will be most memorable. Doing those three trips will give you about 18-19 (if you throw in Owl's Head - a beautiful, isolated wooded summit in the middle of the the Pemigewassett Wilderness)

Last edited:
Thanks for the Input

Like I said - I'm in the planning stage at this point - looks like a lot of good suggestions - I'll have to sit down when I get some time and see what they look like on a map. I haven't gotten myself oriented to the layout of these peaks yet but I'm certain your info will help - Thanks Again

layout

adksteve,
Can I offer a suggestion? Im from the Whites but you seem to be getting enough specific peak advice already, on another note. Im in Colorado bagging the 14ers and I found myself in your position as far as the "layout" of the peaks. Heres my stragety that I believe might work well in the Whites as well. I focus on Ranges, not the whole area. I pick 2 ranges and work on them at the same time, as to not go to the same range every hike. That gives you a smaller area to focus on and as you climb in your 2 ranges you spot other peaks in neigboring ranges and slowly acclimate to the area, when you done the ranges your focused on, you pick another area or range and move on. BY the time your at your third or forth range you start developing are understanding of the layout and things start falling together.
Plus in the Whites using this technique you can bag mulitple ascents in the same area anyway while your there. Just my 2 cents.

Maps

adksteve,
I forgot something in my post, I hang the maps for the areas Im new to in a place where I can always be glancing at them, and I keep the guidebook with me, reading it whenever I get a few moments, Before I moved to the Sierras and Colorado I had read the guidebooks at least 3 times.

Thats a great suggestion, about hangin the maps in a place you'll always see them. I have a map hanging in my bathroom to the right of my head. Everytime I go "wee-wee" I glance to the right and study the map. I'm a walking atlas by now. I have a weak bladder.