Plant ID help

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bikehikeskifish said:
Can any of you put a definitive name to these?

Daisy or some sort?, perhaps a Vegematic? ;)

Not purple enough to be a Vegematic (Aster vegematica). Actually, I believe mine is a bog aster (Oclemena nemoralis). I'd guess yours is some sort of aster as well, but there are a ton of them. It would help to get a good look at the stem and leaves.

-vegematic

I'm happy enough with the "Aster" designation. I like to put captions on my photos, because it helps me remember what they were, and I hope it helps others with identities as well. I'm learning the common ones... Maybe next year I'll get up to the Alpine Garden...

I also appreciate the time people put into answering otherwise simple and obvious questions -- I do plan to get a guide, and I have spent some time trying to figure it out using google...

Tim

vegematic said:
Not purple enough to be a Vegematic (Aster vegematica). Actually, I believe mine is a bog aster (Oclemena nemoralis). I'd guess yours is some sort of aster as well, but there are a ton of them. It would help to get a good look at the stem and leaves.

-vegematic

It was definitely more lavender than the photo shows. Unfortunately, it got whited out a bit.

Here are the four, full-frame (click for full size) photos of this species which was found along the wetter sections (along with some ferns) of the trails leading up to Isolation:

Thanks again,
Tim

Ah -- the other photos help a lot.

So it looks like we have:
flower: not one of the smallers asters, flower head probably 1.5-2" wide (does that sound about right?)
stem: bristly-hairy
leaves: slightly clasping, leaf margins slightly toothed and with a strong mid-vein
habitat: wet area

From looking at Newcomb's Guide, I'm going to guess (not quite certain) Symphyotrichum puniceum = Aster puniceus.
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/symphyotrichumpuni.html
http://wisplants.uwsp.edu/scripts/Detail.asp?spcode=SYMPUN

Aster radula and Aster simplex look vaguely similar but don't have hairy stems or leaves clasping the stem. Symphyotrichum novae-angliae = Aster novae-angliae looks similar & has hairy stems with leaves clasping the stem, but the color is more intense purple, there are more rays, and the leaves don't have teeth.

arghman said:
Ah -- the other photos help a lot.
Good. The ones in the trip report photo suite were chosen for their, uh, artistic quality.

arghman said:
flower: not one of the smallers asters, flower head probably 1.5-2" wide (does that sound about right?)
Yes. That's about right.

arghman said:
From looking at Newcomb's Guide, I'm going to guess (not quite certain) Symphyotrichum puniceum = Aster puniceus.
http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/symphyotrichumpuni.html

I would agree that they look like this link. The color balance is not true-to-life...

The coolest thing about VFTT is the collective knowledge of the members.

Tim

Some sort of Gentian

Is this Gentiana linearis?

Is it very common? I'd never seen it before but where I found this one the plant was abundant.

-vegematic

Could be. I've seen a similar gentian in the 'Dacks; couldn't decide (even after consulting VFTT in a predecessor thread) if it was G. Linearis, G. Andrewsii, G. Clausa, or something else.

older thread: Arghman thought minewas likely to be G. Linearis

Rare or threatened species will be listed by the Heritage Program for each state. G. linearis is "vulnerable" in New York but still "exploitable."

Last edited:
Pat T said:
It looks like Hobblebush which is a viburnum.

Try this link for more info.

Pat T
That looks like it. While hiking off-trail in early July we had to push through a few areas that were thick with head high Hobble Bush. We dislodged some powdery substance from the leaves as we brushed them and this brought on bad coughing spells. I see that a Hobble Bush infusion for treating coughs and as an expectorant but found nothing regarding this leaf powder and coughing.