Plant ID help

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I couldn't photograph the leaves because they were still budding. Maybe next week.

After some searching through my book I think the catkins belong to some kind of alder - that's the only genus I can find that produces the right kind of conelike structures. Also photos I've found of the catkins look like a good match (they're certainly not birch catkins).

OK - here's another one; grows in wet ground after the snow melts in the Sierra Nevada and Snow Mountain Wilderness (probably elsewhere too - but that's where I have seen masses of it):

l34.jpg

Nazdarovye,
Looks like a false hellebore (Veratrum) but not enough information to tell which species. Californicum is the western variety, but our eastern species viride also grows in California.

How about this one ? It's a shrub that was growing in the understory in the ADK's. Mid-May.

Last edited:
NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
#3 Blossoms...Serviceberry, I think it's also called Juneberry.
yup, although which Amelanchier species is anybody's guess.

the one with the catkins is almost certainly an alder (Alnus sp) which have catkins that persist (vs. birches which disintegrate). If the leaves are out, another clue is that the leaves are sort of folded/corrugated along the veins.

First one: Pearly Everlasting (Anaphalis margaritacea)

Second one: Not sure. My first thought was that it reminded me of Wild Basil (Clinopoddium vulgaris) or Heal-all (Prunella vulgaris), both mints. But it isn't exactly either of those two.

-vegematic

Not sure about being "definitive" but the first picture might be an aster. The asters are blooming now and there are many different ones.

The second photo looks like a Turtle Head.

Pat T

Pat T said:
Not sure about being "definitive" but the first picture might be an aster. The asters are blooming now and there are many different ones.

The second photo looks like a Turtle Head.
correct on both counts (I think!). To ID the particular aster species, though, you'd need to look at a bunch of things, like leaf shape (incl. whether it is toothed along the edge or whether it clasps the stem), roughness of leaves, hairiness of leaf/stem, etc.

the only other thing it could be is a fleabane (Erigeron sp.) but those usually have more rays than the one in the picture (your picture shows a ray count around 30-40 or so, fleabanes can have 100).