Plastic Boot Problem

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
Yesterday, I went hiking in my new plastics for the first time. They seemed to fit well and, even with crampons, I didn't have a problem with heel lift. No blisters or hot spots.

My problem was that, after awhile, the front of the boot kept pressing against my left shin with every step. By the end of the hike, it was really hurting. Today, it's still sore and I've got a red line on my shin from it.

Has anyone else had this happen? Any suggestions for how to handle this problem?

I really like the boots. They're warm and were pretty comfortable earlier in the day. :(

Double Bow, my old Koflach Variosofts - 97-2000. Extremely annoying and painful - I have heard that it lessens the more you wear the boots, but I ended up getting rid of the boots in 2000 becuase they were so painful.
I have wondered of using a hair dryer to try to reform the top plastic, and had thought of cutting the inner bootie down as well.

I'd also be interested in how others dealt with this issue.

we call that the ole "boot bang" - and no that isn't having "questionable relations" with your boot on the trail!!

seroiusly, try loosing them a tad near the shin both inner and outer boots - but not too much if this makes sense.

- I had that problem a little in the beginning and it did indeed go away with after a small break-in period.

Although I don't have those boots, I usually lace my boots so the laces are fairly tight over the foot, then tie a surgeon's knot at the ankle-joint hooks, then lace the top loosely. This provides lots of flex at the top of the boot and prevents shin bang.

If you haven't heard of a surgeon's knot, it's two overhand knots in-line (I think that's what it's called).

Last edited:
This has happened to me as well and its no fun! Usually I just need to loosen the laces and the front of my legs are fine. I also think it takes a few hikes for your feet and legs to adjust as well.

-MEB

Ah, Koflach whack!

If the previous suggestions are insufficient, try lacing all but the top eyelets. Next, try a heel lift or footbed in either the plastic or inner boot.

Ed

The multiplicity of names for this condition demonstrates that it is widespread. I've always heard it called "shin bang".

Try running your laces looser. This makes walking more natural anyway, and prevents chilling due to overconstriction. Except when I'm doing desperate cramponing, I like my inner booties to be moderately tight and my plastic shells to be loose.

I dont use koflach boots, but have run across this problem before.

A lacing system and adjustment of the tongue/inner boots has been the best solution in the past for me. I try and tie a knot with the laces just before the boot turns vertical and keep the laces as tight as possible without killing the circulation to my feet. Above that knot I lace a little bit looser, to try and minimize my feet sliding around while providing more flexibility up top.

~Justin

I had the same problem with my Asolo's... the ONLY way I can wear them without pain is to lace them only 1/2 way up. I stop at the "ankle joint".

Onestep

It's why I don't wear plastic boots!!!!

Sounds like what we used to call Lange Bang, referring to the solid rocks we used to use as ski boots.

The trick taught to me by an old timer was to shave your shins. Friction on the hair folicles on your hairy shins might be the problem.

It helps to be secure in your manhood or a bike racer, nttawwt

Double Bow - you didn't say where you purchased the boots, but you should go back and have them fit fit them for you. The liner that is used in the Degre can be customized with a heat gun. They can even make the toe area larger! As pointed out previously, we'd also recommend a good foot bed.

I had the exact same problem on a pair of ski boots. No matter how loose I buckled them the pain was unbearable on the top of my foot near the ankle. The solution, reform the plastic carefully around the using a pair of pillars and a 450o heat gun. It only took about 5 minutes and I just bent the plastic shell gently up and away from the area in question. I think the trick is to just make minor adjustments and keep trying the boot on until you get it perfect. Also, make sure to take the liner out when heating. Good luck.

Lawn Sale said:
My hockey skates did this as they have a very rigid boot. I loosened the top laces as well and had the a little snugger on the middle and it works fine now.
I hope you know enough to carry an ice ax when trail conditions demand hockey skates! :)
But seriously, I borrowed plastic boots, both Scarpas and Koflachs, from the equipment room of a university, and hiked up mountains with both. I'm guessing both pair had been used a bit, but both still hurt after a while.
Maybe there's something to what the old timer told dave.m about shaving. My first day back at work after climbing Madison and Adams w/plastic boots, my manager asked if I shaved my legs. (I work in a warm kitchen, and almost always wear shorts) I looked down and my lower shins did seem less hairy than usual. So if rubbing against the hair is part of the pain, the boots are working on the solution.
Another thought: I was told once that when muscles get bruised a little, when the body rebuilds the tissue, it makes those muscles bigger or stronger than they were. If that's true, then maybe if you keep wearing the boots, your body will build up the abused areas and they'll "get used to" the boots. That's just a thought.
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor, but I feel free to play one on the internet.

Koflachs

I'm amazed-I thought I was the only one who had this problem with Koflachs-I could barely walk after a two week mountaineering course in those d--- things. I have a pair of Asolo 101's (very old school, but virtually brand new-sat in the box for about 10 years) and they didn't seem to do that the couple of times I wore them. The newer boots look like they flex a lot more-the Degre and Inverno boots get good reviews for comfort, so you might consider trying a different boot. Banged up shins can be very painful, as you already know.

I found that playing with where the inner boot was tight Vs. loose helped.

Also make sure your pants stay out of the boots, hard to see if wearing gaitors but any extra fabris is going to make it worse.

They don't have to be as tight as leathers.