platypus bladders and boiling water.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Hey, sort of an O/T thread, sort of not. My mom has been suffering a stiff neck and besides the Advil, I am thinking of using a heat pad. Was wondering if the small 32oz platypus bladders I have would handle hot, not necessarily boiling water? I have never tried myself?

(I have the kind with a simple screw on cap, now the big-zip ones which has a chance of opening)

Jay

Boiling is OK!

Hi Jay H!

I boil my tea before winter trips and have experienced no detrimental effects on the performance capabilities of the Platypus bladders. (can't they come up with a more marketing friendly term????!!!)

Sounds like you have a grand idea!
My wishes are out to your mom! :)

According to the the manufacturer the bladders are boilerable. So if they can be submerged in boiling water I don't see why they wouldn't be able to handle hot water in them. I just wouldn't want to handle one that has boiling water in it. ouch!

I put mine into boiling water recently to sterilize it. After it came out, the first time I tried to use it, I had a devil of a time getting the zipper to seal. I finally did and in subsequent uses it has gotten easier to seal. The plastic they use is very tough. I would think you wouldn't have especially if you don't have the kind that zips as you won't actually be boiling the bladder as i did.

Thanks folks... What I will probably do is put hot water in the platypus, put the cap on it and stick the whole thing in a small pillow case, my mom can use as a pillow. I wouldn't use those zip things because they have been known to fail every now and then and the last thing I want to deal with is not only a stiff neck but severe burns!

Just didn't want to risk melting a bag or worse.

I hate stiff necks, and is one reason I can only really sleep on my back, if I sleep on my side or my stomach, good chance I'll wake up with a stiff neck myself...

Jay

I have had a Platypus big zip for over 3 years now used summer and winter and never had a failure. Believe me I do not take any special care of it. I have sat on my pack with the Bladder full trying to cram that extra fleece in, Never giving a thought to the bladder. I suspect failures happen when the zip isn't closed 100%. You can get it almost closed, enough so water doesn't pour out but not fully sealed.

Even so with scalding water better to err on the side of caution.

When I put boiling water into my water bag (camelback) the hose falls off of the nipple. If platypus bags use this method to join the hose to the bag, then perhaps this could be a problem.