pond backpack ideas???

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trekkin

Reaction score
Hey all. Looking for some help on a base camp for a 3-4 day backpack in NH, VT or ME. Bringing my Golden Retriever, so water at or real close to the tentsite would be preferred. In the past we've done Sawyer Pond (too crowded due to a 1mile approach) and Unknown Pond in the Whites. Would prefer less people, and are willing to extend the mileage in pursuit of that (5-12 miles in would be ideal, with side trips possible after setting up camp).

I've got all the guidebooks and maps, but thought maybe someone here knew of a place out of the way of most....tough on this weekend, I know, but thought I'd ask anyway. We're HUGE believers in the LNT ethic, and are very respectful of both the land we're travelling on as well as others we may happen upon. Bourn Pond and Abbey Pond in VT looked potentially promising, but I defer to the experience of those here. Thx much in advance for any assistance!

Trekkin'

With this weather...

...most anywhere in New England would qualify as a "pond". Seriously though, Tramper Al, Spencer and I were on the AT in Maine north of Flagstaff Lake this week and we passed lots of great ponds with virtually no other people. Side trips were few if any, but the ponds were beautiful, and right off the trail. Moose, loons, you name it.

Not sure if the canoe ferry across the Kennebec would take a dog, though.
Weatherman

...and cool, just noticed I'm a "senior member" now. Do I get a patch for that?

Last edited:
The last section of the 100 mile wilderness on the AT in Maine would fit your bill. The last couple of days before Abol bridge traverses several undeveloped lakes and streams. Fairly easy walking and with a trusty Delorme guide in hand, fairly accessible. There are a couple of other sections of the AT in Maine with lots of ponds and streams, but they tend to be two day hikes unless you dont mind climbing a mountain in between. The stretch from Monson to the Kennebec is one of these sections.

peakbagger said:
There are a couple of other sections of the AT in Maine with lots of ponds and streams, but they tend to be two day hikes unless you dont mind climbing a mountain in between. The stretch from Monson to the Kennebec is one of these sections.
I disagree a bit. There are enough road crossings in the Caratunk-Monson section to make anything in there accessible, especially with a 5-12 mile hike in range.

I think the Carry Ponds section is an excellent suggestion too. Not one pond without a loon.

Something not on the AT might be even better though, if one of the primary criteria is few or no people. Just open the Delorme and go.

Trekkin -- if you head for Bourn Pond, you may want to give the Green Mt. Club a quick call to make sure you can reach it. Two falls ago there was a massive blowdown that made the trail impassable (I know a couple of people who tried to get there and gave up.) I'd imagine the blowdown was cleared up last year but it would be worth double checking before you leave just in case.

-- Ivy

Thx very much for the heads-up Ivy! To be honest, that may make it a near perfect designation IMO. :)

Tramper Al - I'm sorta with ya on the AT. While always up for saying hello and shooting the breeze w/like minded folks, I was hoping for something a lil' more secluded/off the beaten (and worn down) path.