Possible Late April Pemi Traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkrew81

Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone here has ever attempted a late April Pemi Traverse? What are peoples initial impressions of this? Depending on snow levels it seems snowshoes and microspikes would be mandatory. Any and all thoughts/comments are much appreciated. Thanks

-Jonathan

Rotten snow could make this a sufferfest. Unless conditions were just right this wouldn't be when I'd attempt this trip.

On the other hand...

April can be a dandy time to hike in the Whites -- more sun/longer days, generally milder temps, etc. Just be prepared for any kind of weather, and yes, bring snowshoes. (Snowshoeing in mashed potato snow sucks, but barebooting in it sucks more.)

After many years of avoiding hiking in April, I grew to love it while working on my 48 in every month (grid). I say, watch the weather and go for it. :)

I agree with Stinky and want to add that this hike is the kind that comes down to sequences. If you can watch for a cold front to come through you could have perfect conditions, real firm snow and bare rock on the ridge in many places. I'd also take advantage of the night time freeze and try to avoid real sunny days to soften it up even more, all though catching sun in mid day could be great across either high ridge if the rock is pretty bare. I'd also like to throw out the idea that this is one that you may want to start at say midnight, taking advantage of the firmer snow to get up to the ridge and maybe even coming down in the afternoon. Hard to say on time it could be fast as hell or near impossible slow. I'd also aim for counter clock on this one for the mid to later day rock and avoiding the sunrise and sundown winds on the higher ridge hopefully.:)

It just depends on the year. I've done Bonds in April with hardly any snow, but other years had snowshoe type snow on Lincoln and Galehead. And yes, there can be icy hardpack. Because some segments are rarely hiked in winter or early spring, your trail conditions will vary a lot.

One good thought - on that route you shouldn't have much trouble with brook crossings which are often a worry that time of year :)

traversing how?

A low level crossing, maybe staying on the valley floor & going up Twin Brook & down Gale River would likely be mostly wet with some snow as you got higher, must different than Twins & Bonds, or Zealand & Bonds.

lower crossing, wet & cold water crossings, potential for fast moving. The other, rotten snow.

If you are thinking of one of the low-level routes between Zealand and Lincoln Woods, the Thoreau Falls Tr* has a lot fewer serious stream crossings than does Shoal Pond Tr.

* The crossing above the falls can be avoided by using the bridge on Ethan Pond Tr plus a short bushwack.

Doug

I guess my question would be are you thinking up high or down low? I would be extremely leery about trying a trip like this if you were doing a ski traverse. Being stuck 8 miles from a road trying to cross a rotten snowbridge could be deadly.

Up high? Depending on the route I'd do it.