Predawn hike to Tuckerman Ravine...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w7xman

Reaction score
I just got back from a full day's worth of activity, and it's before noon!

Haven't gotten much physical anything in for the last week, so I was itching to go for a hike today. My friend Greg randomly emailed me and asked if I wanted to go into Tuckerman Ravine yesterday, and after one thing led to another, and predawn expedition was planned for today.

The alarm clocks went off at 4:40AM, a quick glance at the Thermometer on the porch said 5F. Better than I thought. Called up the KMWN obs online, and they were in the clear, winds "not too bad". Threw the bags in the car and off we went.

20 minutes later we find ourselves at the trailhead, -10, clear skies, calm winds, and stars like you wouldn't believe. I snowshoed and carried my snowboard and camera gear, and Greg skinned up on AT skis.

Progress was slow, as I'm not in my usual winter hiking shape this year, gracias of the lack of snow, and we found ourselves a bit behind schedule. Light brightened slowly after the first mile, and we found ourselves in THICK forest by the time the Pink Alpenglow started. And with the HEAVY pack (winter gear, camera gear, snowboard gear)...I WAS SPENT, but pushed on at a quicker pace...

We made it to Hermit Lake, and the good view at about 10 minutes past sunrise, to an orange ravine, no wind, and a temps around -5F. The most spectacular morning I had seen in a long time. Crossbills were occasionally singing loudly, echoing off the walls, but besides that...silence! Finally set up, my shutter broke the lack of sound as well.

I got some good alpenglow shots, but want a calibrated monitor to get it right. THis monitor is WAY contrasty, so I'll wait to post more. But there are a few more angles to come.

After a chat with the avalanche forecaster and the caretaker (the Chris' of the ravine), we strapped on the boards, and took off down the Sherby trail. Coverage was decent, waterbars were Deep! However, my legs were so dead that they wouldn't carry me, so we stopped about halfway and watched the diamond dust twinkle in the sun. Refreshed, we made it down by 9:30, and reminisced about a full day's activity over a nice cup of Hot Choc at the Joe Dodge lodge.

I need to do this more often.

Here's the pic I processed first, the best for B&W. I hope the others come out good, but if not, I'm fine with the memories I got. If others come out, I'll post em!

Sorry for the long read. Just one of those days!
~w7x

post20751169743882-vi.jpg

Awesome report and great pic - would like to see more :D
I should be heading into there this Sunday... possibly go down the Sherbie or GOS. Looking good.