Preferred way to Adams in Winter?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldmanwinter

Reaction score
Deerfield, NH Avatar: Attempt on Nubble 11/17/07
Below is our chosen route to take with a small party this winter, We would rather not break miles of trail (some would be fine though). What do others think, or what is your preferred route to Adams in the Winter? Tried a search but, no luck.

UP: Valley Way, Scar, Air Line

Down: Lowe’s Path, Hinck’s Trail, Amphbrach, The link @ Memorial Bridge

The best route I've done is up Lowe's path, over to Crag Camp, then up the Spur Trail. I also go straight up Lowes Path sometimes. The spur trail seems a little less windy, but that may have been due to the weather that day and not the terrain?

If the weather forecast is for a blue-bird type of day, then I'd take Airline to Gulfside, then right to T-storm Jct, and left to the summit. Gulfside is a bit less direct, but usually the wind packs the snow hard, and the grades are more gradual. Overall, this route adds about 15 minutes over taking Airline straight to the summit.

Otherwise, I'd take Valley Way to the hut, then take the Gulfside to T-storm Jct, etc.

If it's your first winter summit of Adams, I'd return the same route.

Personally, I'd avoid Hinck’s Trail, Amphbrach, The link @ Memorial Bridge , etc unless you know they're broken out.

The first few times I did Adams I used Lowe's Path because of the availability of the hut. But ... that ridge always seems windier than Airline, Valley Way, etc. Proximity to Valley Way is a good safety net - aside from some initial steepness just below treeline, it's a good, fast escape route if the weather sours - much better than Lowes Path.

As a day hike, Valley way to Madison hut, then airline if the winds are calm or Star Lake trail is there is the typical wind from the west/northwest.

Valley way is almost always broken out, although if there is any snow in the evening, it will tend to collect in the trail for the last 1/2 mile to the hut and can accumulate quite a bit. Airline is almost always broken out and is subject to pretty good breezes that keep it fairly clear of snow. Star Lake trail can have its issues (steep and icy) after a snow storm but it minimizes wind exposure.

A general note to folks with low winter experience that might be reading this, Adams can be a more difficult climb than washington in the winter and there isnt a staffed observatory on top for backup. If you dont own and are comfortable with crampons,goggles, full wind protection and have the sense to pick appropriate weather, delay this one until you have.

Last edited:
I love the stop at Gray knob to take care of any unfunished business have a bite and maybe refill a supplement drink.

The climb out and up from there is classic in its unfolding alpine views and its perspective from the little summit (Adams something)prior to the descent to the long and beautiful traverse to T storm JCT
From there its hops skips and jumps to the summit.

You do know to use your compass on the way up an especially take a bearing back to the monster Cairn at T Storm JCT from partway up the Adams cone.

I remember my bearings as basketball players. For instance a bearing of 320M is Magic Johnson ,330 would be Bird, etc.

Excellent replies

Thanks for the input, just what we were hoping for. We'll take this info and make some informed decisions before we start up. Not to worry, we do have the required gear, winter is our favorite hiking season. Really loved the basketball/bearing suggestion. We always carry and use a map & compass and also carry a GPS for backup.

My .02, depends on weather & how much trail breaking you may want to do.

Lowe's up likely packed out as it's a primary route to several of the RMC facilities & if you go as an overnight, part of this will be a necessity. Some of your other trails mentioned may not be broken out, recently, Randolph may be best bet to hook up with Lowes if you have one car & park at Appalachia.

(There's also a strong case to be made for going down the way you come up so you don't run into conditions you did not expect but Lowes & VW should be pretty well traveled & you should be able to get some TR's on VFTT)

I prefer your proposed way up as the way down, actually, I've done it a few times, a couple of times on November hikes when checking out Madison & Adams for winter trips & a couple of times in spring when any snow was a mere annoyance on a fairly clear trail. Airline should be packed out (or windswept with a few drifts), Scar may not be well traveled but I prefer breaking trail going down not up, but thats a personal preference based on my build & non-aerobic conditioning:eek:.

Lowes on a good day offers great views for a longer period of time & a chance to stop at Gray Knob as John mentioned. On a day when weather up high could be iffy, changing (isn't it always;)) then valley Way provides up with the most weather protection, almost all the way to the hut.

(for the winter trips I did to Madison, the group did Valley Way up & back)

I like Lowe's up and Valley down when there are 2 cars involved (I don't like the road walk!). If I'm solo, I'll go up Airline and down Valley. Did that a couple Aprils ago and ran into a newly engaged couple at Madison Hut! ;)

don't know when your trip is planned for, but as of yesterday valley way was in great shape to the hut. most of the other paths diverging were not broken out. randolph had a couple bareboot tracks. scar was completely unbroken. upper bruin a bit more broken out. i didn't do a thorough investigation, but airline didn't look too heavily travelled either.

bryan