Presi traverse

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangergirl

Reaction score
I am going to do a one day presi traverse Saturday. My friend and I are driving up Friday night and we are going to shuttle cars. I can't remember where the closest campground to the Appalachia trailhead is. Does anyone have any suggestions that will make for a super easy drive Saturday morning?

The alternative is to stay at hikers paradise or the barn in Gorham. Its faster than having to get up, take down the tent and pack the car.

I am going to do a one day presi traverse Saturday. My friend and I are driving up Friday night and we are going to shuttle cars. I can't remember where the closest campground to the Appalachia trailhead is. Does anyone have any suggestions that will make for a super easy drive Saturday morning?
Barnes Field...

-Dr. Wu

If you're considering motels instead of campgrounds, I think the Jefferson Notch Motel is the absolute closest, only 4 miles away. The Mt Madison in Gorham (across from Hiker's Paradise) is the next closest.

Dr WUs suggestion of Barnes Field (or Dolly Copp) was a good suggestion previously and still is if you have a vehicle that can handle rough roads. The Pinkham B road currently is in real sad shape and any vehicle with low ground clearance is going to have to go very slowly. The alternative of driving through Gorham to avoid the road adds a lot of time.

Dr WUs suggestion of Barnes Field (or Dolly Copp) was a good suggestion previously and still is if you have a vehicle that can handle rough roads. The Pinkham B road currently is in real sad shape and any vehicle with low ground clearance is going to have to go very slowly. The alternative of driving through Gorham to avoid the road adds a lot of time.
Hmmm... Ferris drove Gillian's Hyundai on Pinkham B and said it wasn't so bad. Can't be any worse than Sandwich Notch Road. Nobody ever uses Barnes except on Holiday Weekends (and even then...) so you can usually pretty much walk up to a site. There are a bunch of small sites there. Plus, the DW Scout Trail is a mile away as is Pine Link.

-Dr. Wu