Presidential Traverse details

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dvbl

I'd like to read about some of your presidential traverse experiences and info.

I want to see if my calculations match yours. What is the total distance and elevation gain if one climbs every summit? I'm also looking for details of your trip. Where did you start/finish? Does anyone start at Daniel Webster in Dolly Copp? Anyone do it from south to north? Did you carry less water than usual because of the advantageous location of the three huts and Washington, or did you carry the same amount? Was it tough to leave civilization (Washington summit), knowing one of those fine citizens would've gladly given you a ride down? If you bonked, where was it? And finally, and most importantly, how much did you have to pay the gentleman in the chicken hat to come through with the ice cream?

Edit: Not a winter plan; a huts-are-open plan.

Last edited:
dvbl said:
And finally, and most importantly, how much did you have to pay the gentleman in the chicken hat to come through with the ice cream?.
Dave,

Your otherwise informative answer (thanks for the plug!) does not address the most important question; one that only you can answer :)

dvbl said:
I'd like to read about some of your presidential traverse experiences and info.

Anyone do it from south to north?
Yes, the second time, so I couldn't skip Webster. I enjoyed North-to-South more.
dvbl said:
Did you carry less water than usual because of the advantageous location of the three huts and Washington?
Yes and no. No less than "usual", but my usual hike doesn't involve as much time away from natural water sources. I did leave my water filter behind.
dvbl said:
Was it tough to leave civilization (Washington summit)?
No.
dvbl said:
If you bonked, where was it?
N/A. The hard part was waking up early in the morning.

A set of 4 presi traverse trip reports is collected at:
http://www.summitpost.org/object_list.php?parent_id=153390&object_type=5

Total distance gained from Appalachia Trailhead to Webster Cliff trailhead, 23.9 mi;
Total elevation if summitted all summits, 8900'.
A gallon of ice cream and smiling face of Chicken Boy on the last stretch of the death march, priceless.

:) can't resist. But the info above are for real.

Last year when we did the BTS Traverse, we started from Appalachia parking lot taking Valley Way trail. We tagged every summits and bumps on the ridge except for the last 2, Jackson and Webster. We started at approximately 4:45 AM and got down to Crawford Hostel around 7 PM. I carried only 2 liter of water and counting on the hut for refill.

Here are links to my previous trips:

Mohamed Ellozy said:
Your otherwise informative answer (thanks for the plug!) does not address the most important question; one that only you can answer :)
Ah, yes, well we must maintain our air of mystery. :cool:

-dave-

You can probably do a search in the trip reports for our presi traverse that we did (north to South) in the trip reports section here. Giggy and I did Webster and Jackson too...

Jay

dvbl said:
Where did you start/finish? Anyone do it from south to north?
I started in Crawford Notch going up the Webster-Jackson Trail to Mt Jackson and ended up going down Valley Way to Appalachia. I also added Mt Isolation to this trip which added about 10 miles to a normal Presi Traverse.

dvbl said:
Did you carry less water than usual because of the advantageous location of the three huts and Washington, or did you carry the same amount?
In the summer on longer hikes, I always carry my 3 litre Camelback. I carried an empty 1 litre bottle for ease of filling the bladder. I refilled at Lakes of the Clouds Hut and on top of Mt Washington.

dvbl said:
Was it tough to leave civilization (Washington summit), knowing one of those fine citizens would've gladly given you a ride down?
I never thought about this. My car was spotted the previous day at Appalachia so that's where I was headed.

I didn't "bonk" but I had a problem with my knee which was later diagnosed as ITB syndrome. Do a search on my name. My trip report is from Aug 3, '05.

Hope this helps.

JohnL

Last edited:
Route:
North to South, Appalachia > Watson Path, down to Crawford Notch, once via Jackson, twice skipped Jackson.

Carried same amount of water.

A ride down Washington was not a temptation, however, with food and shelter, it is tempting to stay too long.

I bonked on Adams (1st year), last stretch up Mt. Washington (1st and 3rd yr). Eating around Clay helps avoid bonking.

Crossing over to Webster/Jackson is a very difficult decision very late in the day, when you are tired.

The hardest part, IMO, is spotting cars!

Presi Traverse in the Winter

Hello,
good timing for this thread as I am planning a 1 day winter traverse in a few weeks depending on conditions. What would people recommend for water quantities for this type of trip. Obviously I carry equipment to melt snow, but how much do you tend to carry at a time in the winter. I was thinking one nalgene with OR insulator for the outside of the pack and 2 34 oz platypus bottles to carry in the pack along with a small thermos of tea for mid day break. Any oppinions on food for a day like this? I am thinking lots of Gu, pecans, peanut butter, crasin's and some fudge with a freeze dried meal for emergencies. All good sources of calories that do not freeze solid as a rock. Any other oppinions?