Presidentials

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DihedralDude

Reaction score
So my buddies and I are heading upto to NH for the first week of july, none of us have ever been up there. What's the best hard day hikes with fewest crowds? Any other stuff we shouldn't miss?

I suggest Mt. Washington by Great Gulf as one of the best in good weather. Easiest way is to return to Pinkham by Tucks or something similar. Tougher is round trip. If you are really out to prove something think of adding Jefferson and Adams and going down by Buttress. Check the mileage and elevation gain of that last one before you attempt it!

King Ravine to Adams summit is a great hike. The Air Line may see some traffic, but the Ravine has been pretty empty the few times I've been out there (all in the middle of summer).

Hit the Subway, the Ice Caves, the ravine headwall, Adams Summit.

In the col between Madison and Adams there's an AMC hut to check out. Also there is Star Lake and a cool quartz (?) ridge formation near by.

Depending on how hard you want the hike to be you could shuttle a car over to the Castle Trail trailhead and hit Adams as mentioned above and then head over to Jefferson via the Gulfside trail and then hike down the Castellated Ridge with its "castles" and views into the Ravine of the Castles.
A lot of elevation gain but it would be a spectacular hike with a lot of above treeline hiking and a lot of varied terrain.

Just my 2 cents.
^MtnMike^

A good hard hike starts at the Randolph East parking lot and follows the Howker Ridge trail up Mt. Madison. From the summit, you can continue on to Mt. Adams and Mt. Jefferson if you want. To get back down, take any of several trails which lead to the Randolph Path which leads back to the parking lot.

If I were you... The Presis are great, but I would do a dayhike to the 3 Bonds. There are so many ways to do them, and if you really wanted a challenge, hike in from the Twins and back. Odds are that you won't see a ton of people, unlike Mt Washington. Unfortunately, people generally flock to the good peaks, so pick the remote ones and you are less likely to see crowds. Definitely make it to Bondcliff if possible (see my avatar)

If you are headed up from the East: 1) Great Gulf to Six Husbands to Jefferson Summit to Gulfside (South) to Sphinx and return on Great Gulf. 2) Pinkham Hut to Tuckerman to Huntington Ravine to Washington summit (can't remember the trails from the top of Huntington). Crawford Path to Davis Path to Boott Spur back to Pinkhams. Huntington is tough.

If you are headed from the Northwest: Castle Ravine to Jefferson Summit to Gulfside (North) to Adams summit down Airline to Madison Hut. If you are still feeling good, head over to Madison summit on Osgood and return. Head down on Airline. Alternate descent from Madison is Howker Ridge, but you will need to car spot a bit.

From the Southwest: Edmands Path to Eisenhower summit. Crawford Path to Monroe and Washington, Gulfside to JEwell. (This will be more crowded)

Go to Dave Metsky's "White Mountains Info Server" and Mohamed Ellozy's "Peakbagging the 4000 Footer Mountains of New England" to get some good route information and pics.

From the Southwest: Edmands Path to Eisenhower summit. Crawford Path to Monroe and Washington, Gulfside to Jewell.

Sherpa's route sounds good. If the weather is good once you get above treeline anywhere in the Presidentials you're going to see people. I want to do this route again in July and add Clay and Jefferson and retreat down Jewell. Makes for a strenuous day but if the weather turns there are several evac routes down to safety. You would take the Mt Clinton road off Rt 302 and park at Edmonds trailhead. Jewell brings you out to the Ammonusuc trailhead so you will have a couple of miles of roadwalk to get to your car.

This is a SPECTACULAR area!! I was stunned my first time up there in 1985, enjoy.

Considering you have not been to the presidentials you may want to start with trying to bag one peak. A challenging dayhike is Adams VIA Kings Ravine, lots of gain and usually not too crowded. I will be doing Jefferson to Washington that weekend so lets hope for good weather.

Last edited:
Be aware that some of this crowds "hard" day hikes may tend to be marathons. If you are not out bagging peaks every weekend, be realistic about your mileage, the two miles per hour plus 1/2 hour for every 1000 feet of vertical should be your guide until you prove otherwise.

With that out of the way, I am an advocate of the loop that starts on the Cog road at the Jewell trail/Amonusuc ravine parking lot, then up Jewel to Gulfside (summit Mt Washington if you wish) then north to Jefferson, down Caps Ridge trail to the Jefferson notch road, then a road walk south on the notch road to the Boundary Line trail and back to the where you started.

If you have two cars, the run from Jefferson Notch road, across Jefferson, Adams, Madison and down PineLink to Dolly Copp road is an incredible trip.

Keep in mind, the earlier the start the better, less crowds and a lower chance of afternoon thunderstorms.

peakbagger said:
, the two miles per hour plus 1/2 hour for every 1000 feet of vertical should be your guide until you prove otherwise.

That's a pretty conservative figure. If you are confident on your abilities, I would perhaps take 25% off that figure. It wouldn't hurt to play it safe, and remember to be well prepared since the weather in the Presis can be wicked and can change quite quickly! Enjoy