property owner sued for faulty tree stand

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The other unfortunate fallout from this is that other landowners who read about it will plaster every tree on their land with No Trespasing signs to try to head off the same thing happening to them.

Probably, although it would make no difference here since the guy claims he had explicit permission

If he didn't pay the land owner to hunt there, the laws are fairly clear, drunk or not.
See: http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XVIII/212/212-34.htm

I think the plaintiff is arguing that the landowner did receive "consideration" - albeit not cash - in plaintiff's undertaking to reduce the local coyote population, which he claims the landowner desired.

Such suits are unfortunate, as the publicity they generate could have an effect, even if they are bogus and end up getting thrown out fairly quickly.

I think the plaintiff is arguing that the landowner did receive "consideration" - albeit not cash - in plaintiff's undertaking to reduce the local coyote population, which he claims the landowner desired.
If the guy didn't have a hunting license, that contract would be illegal and unenforceable - I suppose he will claim he intended to get one and was just scouting

Had a similar lawsuit. A hired logger was injured (broke his leg badly) on my upstate property. My insurance company refused liability responsibility because of the type of policy I had. (nonprimary residence or some other bs) Long story short I won the case BUT dropped +/- $5K on my defense lawyer. The plaintiff losing pay plan would never work because theres a good chance the plaintiff doesn't have any money. The loggers boss (legally his partner which was the legaleze that got me off the hook) had lied to me when I asked about his insurance.:mad:

I guess the fine for:

• Hunting without a license
    Hunting while intoxicated or nearly which could be bs.
    Hunting without enough gray matter
In this case will be $100,000 in medical bills, future employment he would have been capable of, and his own reputation he tarnished in the public eye while trying tarnish that of another.

Its too bad he is also affecting the reputation of other hunters and outdoor people at the same time!

Nice post Billy! Even if it is a little off track!;)

Man, some people are dumb.

Frivolous suits, clogging up the system and wasting money. Not to mention causing scared owners to close their land, in this case.

Last edited: