Q: Hiking Kinsman Ridge Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjs

Reaction score
I am thinking about hiking Cannon Mountain and I've read about the Kinsman Ridge trail which parallels the Aerial Tramway. The problem is, some people say this trail is really difficult, others say it isn't.

The most difficult trail I have hiked so far is Jewell Trail, Mt Washington. I've also done the White Dot and Red Spot trails on Mt. Monadnock without any real trouble.

How does Kinsman Ridge compare with these? Is it a lot more difficult?

Kinsman Ridge Trail

I would not say this trail is difficult, although it is steep and if the rocks are wet you would need to be careful, especially coming down. We took our 5 and 3 year old up a couple of weeks ago and had no problem,although we took the tram down (because we don't want to push them too hard) and I have carried the 5 yr old up a few years ago without a problem. The last time I've been down the Jewell trail was 6 years ago, but comparing the two I would say Kinsman Ridge is easier

This trail is not difficult. There are simply two spots to be careful. One is very obvious when you get to it - some stretches of angled slab that tend to be wet. Just follow the obvious route around the right up the tree routes and you'll be fine. There is no exposure at all - this is entirely within the trees.

The second is coming back down - when you get back to the horribly eroded section with all the loose gravel, be very careful because there are roots coming out of the sides of the bank and if you get yourself going too fast and slip, you could get hurt.

Other than those two spots, this is an easy trail. Another thing it affords you is a fantastic lookout. When you top off on the false summit (eastern knob) there will be a small junction where the trail turns right and a path continues straight/left. Take the path, and you will come out on an open ledge that faces the Notch and Franconia Ridge and is simply awesome. It actually has views in almost every direction - you'll see the summit proper and its tower, as well as being able to look south right down the length of the Notch.

I think you'll find this trail easier than Jewell or the Monadnock trails. It does not have nearly the rock-stepping they do, nor their length or steepness.

Hi-Cannon is another way. It's a better route in my opinion. It's rugged and not that much fun in the rain but great views on a nice day.

Jim lombard said:
Hi-Cannon is another way. It's a better route in my opinion. It's rugged and not that much fun in the rain but great views on a nice day.

I've done both (Kinsman just a few weeks ago), and I think the Kinsman Trail is tougher. There is a .4 mile stretch where you gain a lot of elevation, which is steep and slippery, like others have said.

BTW, if you want to bag NE Cannonball (NEHH), it's the next peak South/West on the Kinsman Trail from Cannon.

I should point out that my comments about the Kinsman Ridge Trail are exclusively from the tramway parking lot to the summit. I don't know anything about the trail south of there until Kinsman Junction, and then I've done the stretch from there all the way to Rte 112.

Hi-Cannon has a ladder that scares some people, but not others. Use caution on the ledge that overlooks Lonesome Lake if it's wet.

If you want to see my photos of the Kinsman Ridge Trail up from the tramway, start here.

Last edited:
My .02 cents

MichaelJ said:
Hi-Cannon has a ladder that scares some people, but not others. Use caution on the ledge that overlooks Lonesome Lake if it's wet.

I found the ledge to the left of the top of the ladder to be scarier than the ladder. I basically ran across it and hugged a tree on the other side! :eek:

Descending on KR Trail from Cannon is somewhat slow and steep in spots...remember a lot of butt slides (my patented downclimbing maneuver.) It seems to go way down into a deep and dark forest. I turned off at the Lonesome Lake Trail.

MichaelJ said:
I should point out that my comments about the Kinsman Ridge Trail are exclusively from the tramway parking lot to the summit. I don't know anything about the trail south of there until Kinsman Junction, and then I've done the stretch from there all the way to Rte 112.
KRT from Cannon down to Coppermine col is quite steep. Goes over moderately-sized boulders.

Doug

Kevin Rooney said:
It's like the trail from hell - can't think of a worse trail to descend in the Whites. About the only time I'll consider it is in March when it has 10' of snow ...
Never been down it myself...

In summer, hands were necessary to help in climbing over the boulders.

In winter, it was "technical" step-kicking on snowshoes. (We were breaking trail in deep snow.)

Doug

Kevin Rooney said:
It's like the trail from hell - can't think of a worse trail to descend in the Whites.
Aw, it's not that bad. :)

It's tough and people do tend to slip and fall a lot on this trail.

-dave-

Thanks everyone for the quick replies! I will be in the area during the second week of October and I think I'll give it a try then. I want to do Kinsman because I can park in the tramway parking lot and take the tramway down if I am too tired or worried about going down.

BTW sapblatt, I hope you haven't really patented the "downhill buttslide" because I use it quite a bit myself! :D

One last opinion from another member of the buttsliding brigade:

I'm one who has voiced my dislike of the KRT from the tram lot to Cannon. It was no walk in the woods. Admittedly, part of what I didn't like had to do with conditions -- I hiked it in May when there was still snow near the col and a lot of run-off. The gravel chutes are a "little interesting" -- my euphemism for things that give me pause (at best) or bring on an outburst of colorful language (another euphemism :)) Ultimately, I was more fascinated than anything else. At 5'1", I was almost standing below the ground level in the chutes. I captioned my picture of one slide "What 85 Years of Erosion Does to a Trail". Pretty cool.

The remaining stort steep sections and slabs were doable even for a slab-a-phobic like me and my dog. The upper section after the col barely registered on my b!t@h scale. By then, then WOOHOO! factor had kicked in, and I was just cruising along. There were a couple of spots where I had to stop to help the dog tho.

Overall, the key question for me is would I hike it again? Oh, yeah. The view from Cannon Cliffs is AWESOME. It seems you can reach out and touch the Franconia Ridge. From there, I'd go up to Cannon again just because it's so close. The "because it's there" factor!

In comparison, I wouldn't bother with the Jewell trail again. I jokingly refer to that as The Most Overrated Trail in the Whites. All those pointy rocks! I couldn't even enjoy the view -- I was too busy watching my feet. And I swore they sent a pschyopath on steriods up to paint the blazes.

So, for what it's worth, there's my .02 on the subject....

And to second Peri's comments ... I *have* hiked it again, and I'd go back happily.
:)

Do note that the Tramway only runs through October 16th, then is closed until ski season.

The ridge trail isn't too difficult, but the trip from Cannon over the Cannon Balls to the Kinsmans seems to take forever!

so whats the best way to do the kinsmans? from the basin, or from lafayette place via lonsome lake/fishin jimmy. how long a day is bagging cannon, and the kinsmans?
harrison

rossgoddard said:
so whats the best way to do the kinsmans? from the basin, or from lafayette place via lonsome lake/fishin jimmy. how long a day is bagging cannon, and the kinsmans?
harrison
Consider Mt Kinsman Tr from the west.

Doug

If you've got two days and a car spot, following the AT from Rte 112 along the Kinsman Ridge Trail the whole way is a *beautiful* trip (spend the night at Eliza Brook Shelter). We took Fishin' Jimmy down off the ridge at the end, you could also have your car at Mt. Kinsman Trail on the west side as noted.