Question about Megalloway in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffalo

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Megalloway Road is closed and/or maintained during the winter? For a logging road, it's very well maintained in general. I have no idea how passable it is during winter and if anyone has experience getting to the trailhead during this time of year. Thanks!
Dan

I believe in winter it is a groomed snomobile trail. I'm not sure of the gate closings or other access points.

The only way the road would be open to traffic is if there is logging operations going on in the area, this would be season by season.

Jodi, from the Cabins at Lopstick, in nearby Pittsburg, has this to say about Magalloway Road in the winter:

"Magalloway Road is limited to just logging trucks and snowmobiles; [the latter] are supposed to stay on the trail that is to the side of the road. Magalloway Road...isn't kept up for winter travel."

You can probably politely contact her for up-to-date information (just Google "Cabins at Lopstick").

This is IMHO one of the slimy deals in conjunction with the Headwaters purchase which I mentioned at the time but nobody cared.

In the past most roads in the area were open in winter to whomever could drive them, and only closed during mud season when travel would damage them. But with the purchase you can now be cited by state officials for using them even if plowed (although like other traffic laws this one is often ignored). This apparently even applies to camp owners in the area although they may be able to talk their way out of a ticket. The public bought these roads, yet now we can't use them which we could before we paid those millions.

Yes I do agree that the taxpayers of NH got the shaft on that deal. John Harrigan wasnt thrilled about the deal either at the times but it was the lesser of two evils.

Magalloway road is a very busy and popular snowmobile trail and the trails up there are currently open. The road is smooth from being groomed, by the side road that goes to the base of the mountain (trails) is not groomed and gets full of moguls before long in the winter as many people ride down it on sleds and some try going up the trail on the mountain to the summit. (not all that hard with good conditions, but not on the bobcat trail) The parking area if you wanted to walk in or try to get a ride with a snowmobiler would be right on Rte 3. The road might be cleared enough to get to the river crossing and the small parking lot there by Smith Brook Road, but I wouldn't count on it. While it is a great spot in the winter, it's a long walk to get there without some help from a snowmobile. Speed limit on the trails is 40 mph and some will go faster (fewer will go much faster). If you walk or ski in, be prepared for this.

Wear orange if you are anywhere near a snowmachine trail and unfortunately watch out for the small minority that are reckless.