Quick Bug Report

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCD

Reaction score
I was bushwhacking both days 5/10 and 5/11. Saturday near Harris Hill along Ensign Pond Road (between exits 29 and 30) black flies were fierce, and biting. Sunday near Owl Head Lookout in Keene, no black flies at all. So at least this weekend, the "bug line" was around exit 30. They will be out everywhere next weekend.

TCD said:
I was bushwhacking both days 5/10 and 5/11. Saturday near Harris Hill along Ensign Pond Road (between exits 29 and 30) black flies were fierce, and biting. Sunday near Owl Head Lookout in Keene, no black flies at all. So at least this weekend, the "bug line" was around exit 30. They will be out everywhere next weekend.

I was on the trail to Dix from Round Pond on Saturday 5/10 (trailwork). Not a bug in sight. On a recent backpack trip (western MA) they were swarming but not biting.

I was off trail in the Wakely area on Sunday and they were swarming down below 3400 while sun was out, then not a one above with a overcast and spots of snow under pine.

TCD said:
So at least this weekend, the "bug line" was around exit 30. They will be out everywhere next weekend.
Don't forget that even during a heavy black fly season, they tend to be spotty--heavy in one place, light to non-existent in another. So an observed bug line may or may not be predictive for the near future.

Doug