Quinnipiac Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dudley said:
My buddy is on the board of Ct. Forest and Park. He's excited about the newest edition of the Walk Book. He claims that they took the best ideas from other trail guides and put them together for a superior book.
The new Walk Book should be out sometime this week.
It’s out!

I saw the new Connecticut Walk Book today at a local outfitter. Without a doubt, it’s the best presentation of trail info I’ve ever seen. Congratulations to the Connecticut Forest and Park Association!

Other than the loose leaf binding, always its best feature, the book was totally redone. The pages are a little wider but still 8.5 high. The paper is sturdier, the print is easier on older eyeballs and the layout uses shading to separate various components. Each trail has sections for a short introduction, parking info, trail description and a mileage chart, which reads from both directions. Longer trails are divided into smaller sections. Interesting sidebar-type info appears here and there in shaded blocks.

The accompanying maps might be the book’s best feature. All maps now look to be 8.5 x 11 with only two creases – no more of those twelve-creased, two-foot pullouts. Also, they’re not just a bunch of thick and thin black lines and dots anymore – subtle coloring and smaller scale make them very readable. Scale? The Mattabesset Trail used to be on two pages – it’s now eight pages, double-sided! You can actually tell a road from a river from a trail! The maps are now located just after the trail descriptions. I didn’t notice what the contours were but they are well-spaced and don’t detract from the overall visual presentation.

The improvements do come at a price, however. The book is now divided into Eastern and Western volumes. The Eastern volume, which is out now, retails for $24.95. The Western volume is due sometime in 2006.

I can't wait to see the new guide. I have put off buying the book in the past becasue the maps are worthless. Then again I am use to using the AMC maps.

Perhaps now more people will hit the trails in CT.

thanks for the help guys - i did it yesterday - - - it started out as a rainy day at 8:30am (and rained till about 11:30am) - i had a bit of trouble at roaring brook but went upstream about 200 feet and got across before both streams combined - - i also had trouble following some of the blazes since a few had branches with leaves covering them - but i made it to the end in 9 hours and 45 minutes.

MadRiver said:
Ken, I'm doing the Q Trial on Saturday. Any info I might need beyond your trip report?

I posted a trip report. The only warning is in North Haven along the Mill River...very high weeds..I walked along the W Cross Parkway.

Have fun. You should have some views without the leaves.

John S said:
I saw the new Connecticut Walk Book today at a local outfitter. Without a doubt, it’s the best presentation of trail info I’ve ever seen. Congratulations to the Connecticut Forest and Park Association!
I'll second that. I saw it in a bookstore in Old Saybrook a few weeks ago and saw it and was wowed! I had been looking for that old blue cover like my edition and when I picked up the new one was in disbelief that this was the same book.
A real good job on the book, gives me a warm fuzzy proud feeling about our CT trails :)

MadRiver said:
Ken, I'm doing the Q Trial on Saturday. Any info I might need beyond your trip report?
i did it the same way that puck did - everything was flooded that weekend so i didn't go down to the swamp in north haven.