Rail Ruins in the Catskills?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fileseffer

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any old tracks not in use, or the like in the Catskill vicinity (Ulster, Sullivan, Greene, Deleware, heck- anywhere in the Hudson Valley) that has been overtaken by nature?
I know of many rail trails, but they don't have the rail, as well as still fuctioning rails, but that's not what I'm looking for either.
Input much appreciated.

The old line that ran from Kingston to Arkville and wherever from there may be just what you are looking for.
You can pick it up just west of Kingston as they cross Hurley Mountain Rd near the Kenco store. The rails are still in place and they are overgrown, I have used them as a location on a few of my photo shoots.

Just an FYI: most rail companies will pull up the rails when they abandon a line. The scrap value of the rails is (or at least is used to be) worth the effort.

Kaaterskill Rails

There were two light rails that used to connect Tannersville With the Laurel House and Katerskill Hotel, way, way back in the day. Climbing up the ridge to the right of the falls, locating the rails at the top left, then walking for a half mile along the old rail then coming back to 23a through the forest is a nice hike.

These old maps: http://docs.unh.edu/nhtopos/NewYorkList.htm will help you locate more. Near SW Hunter Mt you will find another.

Mike

old railroad grade

The old railroad grade that runs through Devil's Tombstone, and parallel to Rt. 214 can still be found- at least part of it. The old cross ties are still there mouldering away, but there is alot of blow down on the bed. I have not followered it for more then half a mile of so, south of the Devil's Path Trail crossing, and less then that to the north of this trail crossing as it peters out.

The old rail line that both Rondak and Woodstrider discuss cross over Rt 23A right after you crest the mountain road in Hains Falls, it travels west through Tannersville on the far side of Rip VanWinkil Lake past the Eggery bed&breakfast and about 3/4 to 1 mile prior to reaching Rt 214 (is, was) a tressel. I haven't been there in 15 years. It continues into the town of Hunter, if you turn off of Rt 23A at the entrance to Hunter Mt ski area and make the first right you will be on Rail Road ave, it continued on towards Lexington but I'm not sure how far.

The Old Railroad bed

That I mention is running along route 214, in a north to south direction (or paralleling the road) and to the east of this modern highway. The rr grade is on the USGS quads. I have walked parts of it- but not the entire length. I know that in the height of land that it "disappears"- or rather that the road and rail bed coincide in the narrow of the clove. North of the height of land I tried to pick it up again and instead I found the dumping ground for the DOT's road kill. Yuk. A real charnal house and quite a stinker on a summers day!

I think you can see the old railbed if you are driving along 214. I've noticed it before and remarked that it looked like an old railbed.

I believe the D&H railtrail goes from Port Jervis to Kingston so it's got to go through parts of the high peaks region surroundings or cloves/notches. It exists now as bits and pieces but I know NY wants to connect all the little parts of it sooner or later... probably later!

Jay