Raingear

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crysdale

Reaction score
Does anyone have recommendations for light/compact raingear? I was recently caught unprepared when a day that had started well suddenly deteriorated. A rain jacket or poncho at the bottom of the packsack might have saved the day. Suggestions appreciated. Cheers!

I have some great rain pants from Campmor...around $29...coated nylon, full side zips so you can vent and put the pants on over your boots. Work great, great price.
Jacket right now is an issue...Gore Tex shell is too heavy and too hot right now...I have a cheap poncho "just in case." I want to get something along the lines of a Marmot Precip jacket...lightweight, breathable, packable...about $99.
Attached hoods are real important...makes a big difference!

I used to have a Red Ledge TH-4, but after 3 or 4 years, it wetted out. My attempts to revive its repellancy were futile.

After talking with several folks, I just bought the Marmot Precip. My understanding is that the current 2005 model is slightly better than its predecessors. My understanding is that they predecessors also wet out after a period of time. Weight of the new model is supposed to be 12 oz. for size large. It also works well as a wind layer. You might want to try Travel Country or Campmor, who both had decent prices. Marty

Last edited:
There is a lot of good gear available in varying price ranges. For 3 season i use marmot Pre Cip jacket and pants. They have worked very well for myself and my wife. While there can be issues with any Waterproof/Breathable fabric in certain conditions, the precips have been great. There light, pack well and are reasonably priced.

Others will have experience with and be able to comment on different brands. Choosing is getting more difficult every year with all the new gear comming out.

Slap makes a very good point about attached hoods. Pit zips also help a great deal.

Last edited:
Ever since I got my gore-tex XCR jacket and pants I quit carrying rain gear.

look no further

marmot precip marmot precip marmot precip marmot precip marmot precip marmot precip

I wear the pants in all but the coldest/windiest weather - (below 10 F) -

if your in the boston area - go to hiltons tent city to get them - a good 20% cheaper than your rei's/ems's

ebay always seems have some as well.

tho - i have head some good stuff about the golite/paclite stuff

anyone ever in the army prior to 1995 - will remember the puke smelling raingear. This has turned my stomach on non-breathable raingear for ever.

Last edited:
Yes I carry a lightweight waterproof jacket but I've got to say that if I know I'm hiking in a summer rain I love my poncho. Why? Because I put it on over my pack and I've got all that air space under the poncho so I don't get overheated. Mine has an attached hood and full length zipper. So if it's raining when I start out then I go for the poncho. As part of my bottom of the pack suppply then it's the jacket. But not both.

a vote for precip or froggtroggs

i have had the same precip jacket for about 3 years with no worries. hooded, light, breathes, waterproof...nuff said!

my friend has the froggtroggs jacket and loves it. definetly lighter and he says it breathes much better.

I think driducks are 10 times more delicate then the froggtoggs. My brother has a set and were ripped first time he wore them. Felt bad b/c I bought them for him. It just takes one little branch sticking out and then they need the duct tape. Holding a driduck and a froggtogg next to each other the driduck feels thinner almost like a paper jacket.

Last edited:
Have been using LL Bean GTX XCR Pants and a Marmot Precip Jacket for 3 years now and haven't been happier. I am very glad I switched to extreme lightweight 3 season rainwear.(My normal winter setup is a TNF Triple Middel GTX Jacket and 3 Layer EMS GTX PAnts)

If you overheat easily, and can spend some extra dough, we've been testing out the Integral Designs eVent Rain Jacket and have mostly good things to say about it. As waterproof as any Gore-tex or Precip jacket I've ever owned, and breathes really well. I wish it was a little bit longer, at least enough to cover my butt, but I guess that would mean adding some weight, so for now I'll just be happy that my pack acts as an awning for my a__.

They make pants too, but we haven't got our grubby hands on those yet...

I'm another Marmot Precip user. I have an anorak and pants with ankle zips, combined weight is 16 oz. I wear lightweight wool long underwear with the raingear and moisture buildup is not a problem.

My wife and I have been using Golites Phantom Jacket and their Shadow Pants with great success. Gore-Tex both, breathable, watertight zips and dual-action hood. Plus zips in the arm-pits. The pants are ergonomic cut, watertight side seam zips and excellent breathability; low weight, pack small and are gusseted. though not cheap, but they will serve for years. Golite.com