Rattlers, and deer ticks, and bears, oh my!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardsgirl

Reaction score
Hey there, southern New York hikers!

I am planning a trip to fill in some missed AT miles (90) between Harriman and Delaware Water Gap. My 13 year-old son and I will be hiking during the April School Vacation week: April 19-25. I am wondering about the probability of seeing potentially dangerous critters on our hike in southern NY/northern NJ.
Why, you ask?...

Rattlers: Unfortunately, my son hikes much faster than me and often gets far out ahead (more than a mile) of me. I will likely prohibit him from doing so, depending on the anticipated wildlife encounters. For example, on a June trip to DWG, a couple years ago, my BF and I saw rattlesnakes and copperheads nearly every day. I'd hate to think of the kiddo obliviously stepping on the wrong stick!

Deer ticks: I seem to hear a lot about ticks being prevalent in tentsites and shelters in this area. Indeed in PA, we sat in the wrong spot for lunch one day and ended up getting quite a few on us. Any ideas for avoidance, or comments about their prevalance in that area?

Bears: What's the story with bears in NY/NJ? In the Whites, we generally don't bother with too much fuss about bear encounters and food storage, depending on where we are camped. However, in the Adirondacks, a bear once walked between me and my tent, where my baby slept! - we used a lot of bear avoidance techniques there! We have a BearVault that was used on the JMT, where they are required equipment. What has your experience been with bear encounters in NY/NJ in April? If bears are expected to be a nuisance on this trip, I will simply make my kid carry the extra 2 pounds of BearVault. Please don't feel bad for him! His pack is ultra light and he can hike twice as fast as me, so some weight to slow him down would definitely not be a bad thing!

I have already checked on 'Whiteblaze' and have not found any useful information that applies to my circumstances. Any advice that folks have from their own experience with these critters during this at time of year, and in that neck of the woods, would be very appreciated.

Thank you!

I'm sure you'll get lot of good replies, better than I can give you as there are quite a few people here that are pretty familiar with the AT in that area. I live fairly close to the AT further south than where you'll be. Hiking in my area of the AT I have saw a Rattlesnake one time. Just be careful around rocky outcroppings/ledges especially in the sunny areas. They love to soak up the sun, especially probablly in the time frame you're talking about.
Ticks are definitely a problem in PA, but you can only do so much to avoid them. Bug spray, etc....just give yourselves a good check over each day.
I have heard about bears being a problem around the DWG. A lot of the articles I have read, with the area being so close the city, is people coming in and not knowing how to respect wild animals. They end up baiting them with food, and you know the routine. Bears then associate people with food and so on. A Bear Vault probablly wouldn't be a bad idea, but you obviously know what you're doing so if you take proper precautions you'd most likely be fine.
Have fun! Sounds like a great trip....let us know how it goes!

Usual precautions apply

Deer Ticks: Twice or more daily checks is prudent, light colored pants/socks with Permethrin.

Bears; Not a real problem when hiking, more for smart overnight and food storage issues. Some AT backpacking sites in NJ have bear boxes, but you can't assume every place has them, and I'm sure some don't or obviously not when backcountry camping. I've seen more bears in NJ than in the catskills, ADKs, whites, or maine. But none have been dangerous and mostly they just turn tail and run. Make noise, etc.

Rattlesnakes: Nothing out of the ordinary here, they like to sun themselves on rocks and stuff, and I've seen timber rattlers running around. Just be careful where you sit and step. If your son is going to be in front, you should make him aware of what to do and not to do if he comes across a bear or snake.

Jay

I did a couple of section hikes in Late April in this area, One from Kent CT to Harriman State Park (west end) and one from Harriman to DWG. On both hikes we encountered rattlesnakes, usually sunning themselves on rocky areas. We also saw one coiled up in the shade one day, with its head covered and the rattle sticking up out of the coil. On all encouters, the snakes gave us plent of warning.

In the section you are planning, we saw one in the trail in the section where the trail runs through the remants of a big housing development and one on the ledges dropping down to the AMC Mohican center. It was typical late april weather with a warm sunny day interspersed in between a couple of damp cool days, so I expect the snakes were taking advantage of the sun.

I would agree that of the three, ticks would probably be the largest concern. Not to add to the worry factor, but late April and May can be the worst time since the little nymphs have just hatched out. Our governor actually declared May as Lyme Disease Awareness Month in NY last year. The previous advice of checking oneself is probably the most important. Do spot checks throughout the area and at least one really thorough check every 24 hours. Also try to avoid grassy areas, or at least avoid brushing up against tall grass and shrubs.

Matt

I would agree that of the three, ticks would probably be the largest concern. Not to add to the worry factor, but late April and May can be the worst time since the little nymphs have just hatched out. Our governor actually declared May as Lyme Disease Awareness Month in NY last year. The previous advice of checking oneself is probably the most important. Do spot checks throughout the area and at least one really thorough check every 24 hours. Also try to avoid grassy areas, or at least avoid brushing up against tall grass and shrubs.

Matt

If you are bitten by a tick:
http://www.placervillevet.com/tick_remove.htm
http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/removingticks.html
http://pediatrics.about.com/od/safety/ss/05_tick_removal_2.htm

Ticks- eeeew! One thing that's kinda scary about all the tick information is that last year I hiked from CT to Arden during the same week in April. I was alone for the whole hike, (except for all the tourists at Bear Mtn.), ... and gee, I don't think I checked myself for ticks even once.... yikes!

I'll be sure to add some of those tweezers to our kit and spray the gaiters down with a daily dose of dope. Don't want the kiddo getting Lyme disease.

Has anyone tried this?

http://www.tickedoff.com/

Funny, I never get ticks on me, so I don't have one. Even funnier, the product is made in my town and we used to hike with the kids who are sometimes featured in the marketing stuff when they were little!

Thanks for all the info!

Last edited:
Yeah, ticks are basically unavoidable in these parts in late March and April. There's no doubt you'll find a few clinging onto your legs and such. I've been covered in ticks from head to toe after bushwhacking. I've never had a problem with lyme disease or anything. I guess it's more of a concern for thru hikers though, since you can't always take a shower or wash your clothes at the end of the day to get rid of them all.

Best advice is to bring a comb and check one another's scalp.