Rattlesnakes on Overlook mtn?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fu Jow Pai

Reaction score
Does anyone have any knowledge of an alleged rattlesnake den on top of Overlook mtn in the Catskills? I was suggesting this hike to some people new to hiking, when I remembered that I'd heard about Rattlesnakes in this area. A close encounter with a rattlesnake on a first hike could really put you off hiking in a permanent way.

Yes, they are definitely there, but not in large numbers. I have climbed Overlook about 50 times in the last 31 years, but I have only seen them on 3 occasions. My sightings were all right at the summit near the tower. Each time they were making such a racket that I could not have missed them nor have accidentally approached them unaware.

Most likely you will not see a snake on the Overlook summit. If you stay on the trail and on the well-trod unmarked path along the cliffs you should have no serious problem from the snakes. As you approach the summit just keep an eye and ear out for them. Keep a close rein on children and dogs. If you do encounter them, give the snakes a moment to move on, and/or avoid going near them.

An article about the Overlook timber rattlesnakes. FYI the Minister's Face cliff referenced in the article is at about 2500' on the eastern escarpment, well below the summit.

Overlook is not the only place in the Catskills with timber rattlers. I have also seen rattlers at Vernooy Kill Falls, at Echo Lake, at the quarry on the Phoenicia trail on Tremper, and in the Plattekill and Kaaterskill Cloves. Similarly sightings are rare in all of these locations.

Back in the 1970 's a lady friend and I decided to hike Overlook on a Summer's eve. Once on top we encountered a severe thunderstorm. Fortunately we were close to the rangers cabin , and were able to wait it out. It was getting dark and the road was steaming from the hot humid weather that day.As we proceded down the road by the hotel,I noticed not one but several good sized rattlers were warming on the jeep trail.With not much day light left,and my imagination running wild as to what might happened next,we made what I would consider my best time ever off of Overlook Mtn..I think you would almost have to step on one to get a bite.But without a flash light or a headlamp,that's what I was afraid of.They don't want anything to do with humans,just take some precautions.

Mark Schaefer said:
Yes, they are definitely there, but not in large numbers. I have climbed Overlook about 50 times in the last 31 years, but I have only seen them on 3 occasions. My sightings were all right at the summit near the tower.

To be even more specific, as you are walking from the cabin to the tower, the den is on your left. This is why there are signs below on the trail that warn you to stay on the trail at this point. If you go straight up, you will be very close to the nest.

I've seen a LOT of snakes this year on the trail. One came at me and I had to fend it off with my pole! :eek: