Reckless bikers on the Lincoln Woods Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
reckless bikers

i mt bike and love it. and yes, it's great to find a trail you can just open up on and cruise. however, i do know what the "rules" are and the rule is that bikers must give way to hikers. if i am on a trail i'm familiar with and cruising along and see hikers, i always yell "on yur left" - (no, the other left! ) and i always slow down as i go by them. there's been times people intentionally will just not move or are clueless as to what you mean and don't get out of the way. in those cases i just slow down or stop or whatever i need to do to get around them. one thing that really ticked me off tho was riding at minnewaska where they also allow horses on trail (which everyone must give way to). we were coming up on a hill with a blind curve. we had no idea he was there, but he apparently knew we were coming and stopped his horse right in the middle of the trail. how do i know he did this intentionally? by the comment he made when my partner fell and i went off trail. now if you've biked the trails at minnewaska they aren't difficult but there's some precarious spots where an accident could have you airborne to heaven. the guy was a jerk but hey, there's always one! i really don't want anyone to be pissed at me when i 'm riding because i consider it a privledge and i don't want to lose it. i go over to the pine bush in albany after work, and they almost stopped biking there due to problems and people blazing their own trails. they are giving us a second chance so i 'm happy and hope no one blows it - there's not that many places to ride so even if it means chilling and slowing down when i would rather not, i do. and, my mt bike is my baby girl and i don't wear all those emblems; that's for road biking! you gotta know what to wear and when!:)

Injuring someone not worth the risk

Having done some mountain biking in the past, I can understand what daxs is saying,

"You can get a tremendous workout from biking and also an adrenaline rush as you jump over a log obstacles or bike down a steep hill."

However, no matter how much I wanted to get a rush, I would hold back if I were risking injuring someone else (and myself)by hitting them. It just is not worth it. I could save it for when I am on an empty trail. Similarly, when I downhill ski, I love to ski fast and do wide-arcing turns that take up most of a ski trail's width. However, I wouldn't even consider doing this if the slope is even marginally crowded. The adrenaline rush just is not worth risking injuring someone else (and probably myself) over it.

After all, if you get injured, you are not going to be able enjoy the outdoor activity you enjoy most. And if you injure someone else, you have that guilt to live with, AND you may no longer be able to afford to enjoy the outdoor activity you enjoy most.

bruno said:
yeah, ol' broo is only about half serious! but for real, it's pretty plain that mtn bikes tear up trails a lot more'n hikers do. but some of my best friends are mtn bikers. a question i always put to them though is why do a lot of ya'll wear those ridiculous clothes? i mean with all the logos all over 'em. ya'll look like a nascar! are you all sponsored by all these companies or somethin'? if so, i give you dap for gettin' paid to ride and all, but i really doubt it. why all the advertising? just wonderin'! now don't get mad! peace!;) :confused:

You mean the ones who are dressed like roadies?!?

Mountain Bikes on Hiking Trails...

just don't go. They, the bikers, don't belong there. There are some activities that are just not compatible and therefore should not share a trail. It's down right dangerous, for all concerned. Though it seems that mountain bikers do enjoy an unusually high level of pain in their sport- often showing off spectacular injuries to eachother.

I also believe, by the way, that horses and foot-traffic are not compatible- it's actually more dangerous for the rider and horse!

I know it's not fair- but I think we need different trail systems for different activities.

hey! peace and flow and dap to everyone! didn't mean to bug ya! but ol' broo gots to say da troof as he sees it! i know mtn bikes are here to stay and that a lot of mtn bikers maintain trail, so we coo'! but really! the clothes ARE ridiculous! remember, spandex is a privilege, not a right! jeez!;) :D :cool:

(ospreyboya is on the dough though when he say that downhill bikes are for fat boys!:p )

I have a dream... That the hiker and biker will peacefully co exist on the same trail... In perfect harmony...

BTW, I like to roadbike, but what's with all the pretty clothes and nonsensical garb that these folks wear? Get on your bikes and ride!!!:D :D :D :D

Last edited:
Breaking my earlier vow of silence . . .

Jasonst said:
I have a dream... That the hiker and biker will peacefully co exist on the same trail... In perfect harmony...
Hikers and bikers do peacefully co-exist on the same trails when both factions are careful about behaving civilly. This is not only a possibility, it is a reality.

However, they never will occupy the same trails together in perfect harmony unless the bikers leave their vehicles at home or the hikers mount bicycles and join in the mechanized parade. It is the activities that are dissonant, and not necessarily the people who engage in them.

G.

off the track

well since we've gotten off the beaten path here and are now into attire, let me lend my comments; being a fashionably conscious lady: mountain bikers, in general don't wear flashy clothing. that's mainly racers during competition. if you see a mt biker wearing totally flashy clothing, especially spandex pants - he is a fashion boo boo. mt biking shorts look a lot like hiking pants; baggy. actually i cross over and wear them for both activities. tops, in general are subtle altho they do have some more flashy ones, of which i have 1 that it really cool! (you'd have to see it!). mt bike clothing colors are mainly like hiking colors but if you've noticed, now that more folks are hiking the fashion industy is getting in there and you now have "glow in the dark" shirts and clothing that has bug dope in it -- oh and don't forget edible packs for those ultra-ultra lite hikers!!!!
road bikers tend to really flash out w/the colors and that does help get you noticed when riding with cars,so that's a good thing.
in regards to tearing up the trails: most mt bikers who are just your average riders out having fun, don't tear up the trails. that's done by more aggressive riders who like it rough and do everything possible to make thier ride as challenging as possible. most of us aren't that good on our bikes or want to risk bodily injury. trust me i know, my "friend" down hill races so i know what they like to ride and that type of riding is hard on trails. that type of riding should be kept to specific spots as far as i'm concerned. but your basic wkend warrior, out enjoying a mt bike ride isn't really going to do anymore damage then a group of hikers do. i do have one question tho: most trails i ride on are marked so you know you are sharing the trail. this obviously helps to keep everyone in tune with what's going on. are the trails where you guys are having problems simply not noted as "shared"? just curious.
so now you all know the proper fashions for biking. and you have my permission to totally razz any mt biker you see wearing spandex pants!

Actually, a little more lipstick - then you'll be cool...

The only problem I had - not a problem really, more of a surprise - was the lack of calling out "on your left" before passing very close. I'd hear a last minute whir, turn and YIKES!

I don't think many mtn bike aficionados bike that trail anyway. As someone pointed out, it can't be much fun. "Maybe it's short, but at least it's covered with railroad ties."

Frosty

MR X

that is one FREAKY looking pic! weren't you exhausted after blowing her up? or is that the result of some weird skydiving accident? :D

and "indianchris" i can't let it go either

"Roadbikes are for pussies! Lance is the only cool one"
i'm all in favor of anyone doing anything to get off their butts and enjoy the outdoors. hiking, bike riding (road or mt) ice climbing, scuba diving -- whatever.
there's lots of beautiful back country roads to ride on and personally i don't like just limiting myself to one thing all the time.
now i know you were just yanking chains but come on --- some folks take this stuff seriously as a matter of fact, ebay has had a spike in road bikes for sale ever since you made that comment!:D

indianchris, one more comment (i promise!!)

lance ain't the only cool one! ol' tyler hamilton form marblehead mass. and alumni of the holderness school in plymouth is purty dang cool too. 'core is more like it, but everyone knows his story. didn't have it for this year's tour but he's one tough li'l dude. somes call him "tyler (@*!!?**%) hamilton" in homage to his 'coreness. dap to him too.

ps--mountain bikers are thugs for the most part:D ;) :p

(i agree with ospreyboya:cool: )

go thugs!

"ps--mountain bikers are thugs for the most part"

hey i'm a thug - go figure: 100# , 5'1" (gotta get in that inch) and female. hey you betta watch out and don't get in MY way - you know how us thugs can be. i'm living on the edge & the thug is on the prowl!
:D