Reckless bikers on the Lincoln Woods Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunder Dan

Reaction score
This past weekend as I was hiking back to the Lincoln Woods Trailhead on the interstatelike Lincoln Woods Trail, I alomst got hit--not once but twice by people seemingly riding their bikes recklessly. I tried to hike along the edge of the trail, giving plenty of room for a biker to pass on the other side. Then one biker still almost hit me! You would think they would have enough common sense to pass as far away from hikers as possible! I think it is also reasonable to expect the biker to call that they are passing you on the right or left. It would be nice for the US Forest Service to post basic biker etiquette so that these people would be informed. There are obviously some safety challenges when bikers and hikers are allowed on the same trail

I agree, I was out of line...just kidding. I asure you it was not Mr. X biking past you. Though, your story reminds me of a time that I was biking down the ski area portion of Techumsa and got lost. My buds and I ended up on hiking trails and bombing down them with little regard for saftey of anyone. Yes I am young and stupid at times. I realize now how dangerous it was.

I walked out the Osseo Trail from Flume a couple weeks ago and covered a bit of the Wilderness Trail, or is it Linclon Woods Trail, at the end. I too was surprised to have bikers zip by me without a "on your left" called out beforehand.

Frosty

I have both hiked and biked this old RR bed; it goes both ways.

As with anything, there are rude, selfish people in any activity; so, I say this: it ain't the mode, it's the person.

I am not defending the biker's behavior; however, the old railroad ties down the center of the trail that make for annoying walking also make for an incredibly difficult (and painful) bike ride. The cyclists I saw just two weeks ago, including the ranger, were riding the outer edges of the trail, where there are no ties. I kept that in mind and as they would approach I stayed to the center.

John Satterlee said:
I have both hiked and biked this old RR bed; it goes both ways.

In years of hiking, I've nearly been run down by m-bikers several times.

In years of m-biking, I've never been nearly run down by hikers.

But I guess it could happen -- like all those husband-beaters violating all those restraining orders. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
A related question (I think):

Does the 48 4,000fter club/committee look down or have rules against riding your bike to the trail (such as riding down Lincoln Woods trail to the wilderness boundary to do the Bondcliff trail)? I think if you are hiking the 48s you should HIKE them. I've had arguments with folks about this and wonder what other people think or know.

Thanks.

You can use your bike to the entrance of the actual Wilderness Area...just past the bridge about 3 miles in. After that, biking is not allowed, and therefore also not allowed for 4Ks.

I have never done it, but I have read about a few that have.

imo, mountain bikers in general suck! how fun can it be anyway? you can't really get up any speed for the most part. now road bikin'--there's a sport for ya! go lance! but mountain bikin' just tears up trails. and mountain bikes are ugly pieces of machinery while road bikes are works of art. ya'll know it's true!

ok, all you mountain bikers! go after me!:D :cool: :)

You're right, it's hard to get over 30 or 40 miles an hour with so many speed bumps, oops, I mean-- hikers :D in the way! But that's what full suspension is for, I guess, so we don't even feel it when we're running you down. And we can still get up to those life threatening, trail destroying, wildlife scaring speeds. Isn't technology great? :eek:

The only place I can disagree with you is that my bike is probably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen made from metal, far more pretty than all of those low-tech, angular, thin-tubed road bikes. It's great when form and function come together so perfectly.

cgarby: If you are counting any peaks for 4K status on the list, they are not allowed on a maintained trail

The official rule is (as excerpted from Mohamed Ellozy's Peakbagging the 4000 Footer Mountains of New England website)
In the document Routes to New England Hundred Highest Peaks dated 1/1/02 the following paragraph appears:

MOUNTAIN BIKING: The increased popularity of mountain bikes apparently makes it necessary to come up with some sort of policy. Please remember that this is a club for hikers; not that we object to trail bikes per se, but we want to preserve the tradition of climbing on foot, not on bikes. In winter we have absolutely forbidden the use of snowmobiles, even when a road is passable to ordinary cars in summer. However, a similar policy on trail bikes seems a bit excessive. Therefore I suggest that we all attempt to live by the following standard: it is acceptable to use bikes on logging roads that are not part of officially maintained trails if the road would be fairly easily passable to an average four-wheel-drive vehicle (not an ATV) without "heroic measures" such as winches. If you think a jeep might not make it, then please walk. If everyone can be reasonable about self-enforcing this standard then I won't be forced to come up with more excruciating technicalities.

The key here is that you are riding on a TRAIL, not road. Although it allows bikes, it is an officially maintained HIKING trail.

OhMyGawd! I can’t help myself. Mountain bikes on hiking trails are an abomination.

This compulsive outburst has nothing to do with peakbagging rules. It has everything to do with the simple fact that I take to the boonies afoot, on hiking trails and paths, hoping to escape the everyday business of dodging mechanized traffic.

(Mountain bikes on bike trails are perfectly OK.)

I will be quiet now. Or at least give it a good try.

G.

ExploreTheEast said:
You're right, it's hard to get over 30 or 40 miles an hour with so many speed bumps, oops, I mean-- hikers :D in the way! But that's what full suspension is for, I guess, so we don't even feel it when we're running you down. And we can still get up to those life threatening, trail destroying, wildlife scaring speeds. Isn't technology great? :eek:

The only place I can disagree with you is that my bike is probably the most beautiful thing I've ever seen made from metal, far more pretty than all of those low-tech, angular, thin-tubed road bikes. It's great when form and function come together so perfectly.

Beautiful bike, but bummer about the non-Horst link in back!:D

Mark -- FSR Enduro

hey bruno, dummy up will ya? it's that kind of pompous response that does no one any good.

road bikes don't tear up trails, dog! c'mon and open up yo' eyeballs! all's i'm sayin'! and road bikes ARE a lot more aesthetically pleasing. mountain bikes are U-G-L-Y. all that metal hangin' off 'em. don't get all mad, fellers! ya'll know deep down ol' bruno is right! namaste!

Sheese! Even with Bruno's use of emoticons, his humor totally went by some. This mountain biker had no problem getting his meaning, and my reading comprehension isn't all that great...

yeah, ol' broo is only about half serious! but for real, it's pretty plain that mtn bikes tear up trails a lot more'n hikers do. but some of my best friends are mtn bikers. a question i always put to them though is why do a lot of ya'll wear those ridiculous clothes? i mean with all the logos all over 'em. ya'll look like a nascar! are you all sponsored by all these companies or somethin'? if so, i give you dap for gettin' paid to ride and all, but i really doubt it. why all the advertising? just wonderin'! now don't get mad! peace!;) :confused:

I am a hiker who also mountain bikes and I love both sports. here are several trails in the area I live that are designated for both hiking and biking. Fortunately, my hiking/biking partner and myself are the only people i've ever seen doing either on these trails.

You can get a tremendous workout from biking and also an adrenaline rush as you jump over a log obstacles or bike down a steep hill. Most of the time I leave the woods looking like I just completed a bushwack I am so battered up from wiping out. That being said, I think its difficult for hikers and bikers to share most paths. Part of the rush of biking is going fast into sharp curves and letting loose a bit on the steeps. Sometimes there is not enough time to give a warning.

Unbeleivably, the mountain biking only trails that I ride on are not as torn apart and eroded as most of the trails that I hike in the Dacks.

In Banff National Park mountain biking is illegal. Park wardens are authorized to shoot bikers on sight with tranquilizing guns and helicopter them , sans bike, to a remote grizzly infested area of the park.

Quote:
Part of the rush of biking is going fast into sharp curves and letting loose a bit on the steeps. Sometimes there is not enough time to give a warning.

The Wilderness trail in question here is about as straight as an arrow and as wide as a road.

I was on it for about 6 miles on Saturday and saw nothing more than a bike track but I did notice large groups of people who walk that side by side taking up the entire width. When we blazed by on foot however everybody got out of the way.