REI UL45 Backpack $29 Closeout

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the tip!!

I just ordered one and you're right... looks like a good deal! :)

Thanks for posting this!

Mine is also on it's way, thank you for letting us know.

I was looking for a lighter weight long weekend pack, and this one fits the bill perfectly. Now, on top of the new stove (coming), titanium pot (and spork, thanks Charly), sleeping bag, tent, and clothing, my pack should be around 20 pounds.

I got one to Rick. At $29 how could you not want an extra pack.

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the nice comments - I just called REI and got another one - a woman's "small" for my littel guy - He's only 5 but the size of a 7-yar old, We'll see if he can grow into it for next year. I couldn't resist the $30 price (as long as it will fit him).

Anways the Customer Service rep said there are a lot left of all sizes in both mens and womans and also said today is the last day of the sale.

I shall become a member of the UL 45 Rat Pack on or before February 28!!
Thanks Rick.....

I stopped by the store in Reading yesterday and checked out the pack - I am so glad I ordered one...very light, lots of nice features...it is unusual to find such an item on clearance that is available in all sizes and they have a lot of them - I just hope the new colors are not better! ;)

jade said:
I shall become a member of the UL 45 Rat Pack on or before February 28!!

If I see a UL 45 on the trail, I will not hesiate to yell "Alligator Eggs", assuming there would be a good chance it would be a VFTT member. As I has just bought a comparable pack, I could not justify buying another so soon.

I am SOOOOOOOOOO tempted. Woman's small would fit me as far as torso length. How much was shipping on it?

funny thing. i have this ems '3000' rucksack since 1991. i remember it called that i believe because it was 3000 cubic inches. i figured id buy that pair of side pockets at ems for 25 bucks that adds 500 cubic inches. so i see this thread and the medium pack(id assume im medium at 5'10) is only 2850 cubic inches. no sense buying that, its smaller than what i got. today i stopped in ems and they have a pack listed as 2850. it also expands though, and the clerk said 2850 included the expansion. i brought my pack into the store and emptied the contents into this new $110 pack on sale. there was about a FOOT of room left to stuff things in. definitely bigger than my pack. I wonder if this item on sale listed at 2850, expands, or is way bigger than my pack as the new ems one is. i spose i missed the sale too? anyone know?

Charly said:
I am SOOOOOOOOOO tempted. Woman's small would fit me as far as torso length. How much was shipping on it?

$5, arrives next week.

As was mentioned before, the sale ended, it's now back to $59.83. But, you might try calling them to see if they'll honor it, all they can do is say "no".

Last edited:
they said they are out of them. the new colors are in, they are 100 bucks now. he said that brand isnt that expandable

I called tonight to try and have Charly's added to my order, but the guy said he couldn't alter the price as the Special Sale was over, his computer wouldn't let him do it. He said there were plenty of them left, but the new colors are out now. The sale price of $59.83 still applies to the sage/platinum, but not the sage/magnesium.

i wish they gave straight answers. when i called i got put on hold by 2 people then disconnected. ack! i hope if i drive down there they indeed have them for 59. I wonder if they are expandable. they didnt have anyone there that could answer(!). does anyone have one yet and could tell me. it would cost 12 bucks in gas just to drive there.

Used my new REI UL45 this weekend, A Review

I was happily surprised that I received my REI UL45 pack on Saturday as it was not expected to arrive till during the week, so I used it Sunday for a dayhike up around Mount Greylock.

First, you may not be aware of it, but the metal frame that supports the whole shoulder harness system maybe put in backwards. I found this out before ordering and expected as such, and mine was the same way. I basically removed it, flipped it around, and voila! It fit perfectly. This error has been reported on another AT website, some REI shops know it, and I thought it has been mentioned here on VFTT as well, so if you ordered one, and you feel that the metal strap is poking right into the middle of your back, just take it out, play around with it and you will fix the problem.

First, the fabric is light weight, well it is a lightweight bag so yeah! I do not expect the bag to hold to lots of bushwhacking , dragging or stuffing with sharp cornered objects, so keep that in mid. It is hydration compatible, has a slot on both sides so if you prefer left or right, your good. It also comes toggles that attach to the bladder if you are using one like Nalgene's which has the corresponding holes. I have a 2 liter bladder and a 3 liter Camelback which I used Sunday because it was insulated. It looks like the toggles and bladder sleeve are set up for a 2 liter bladder as the 3 liter was too tall. Not a big problem, a minor nit actually.

I loaded it with about 15 lbs of stuff for a winter day hike including my bivy, a Marmot Trails bag, some spare clothes, a stuff bag with emergency gear, the bladder, down coat, crampons in their bag and food and it handled the load very well. It has a funky harness system that rides in a way that the shoulders and hips can move independent of each other which is a nice thing. The harness is very adjustable, and I found it to work well.

As for other features, it has two pockets on the lid, one that is on top, one on the underside of the top, btw, the top is fitted to the bag, it does not float so what you see is what you get, no expansion. The internal compression system worked well for me, although the toggle that you cinch for it is a bit tricky with gloves or mittens on, I may change it. There are fours mesh pockets, two on each side; large ones down low, smaller ones up top. The lower ones do not really seem large enough to carry a 1qt bottle, at least a normal Nalgene style ones. I am sure if you are using smaller soda bottles as your hydration system you would not have a problem.

There are two small daisy chains for lashing items too, and it is set up for carrying two ice axes. I removed one of the velcro straps, I had thought about bringing along my regular ice axe for the hike, but left it behind. There is also a small pocket and -pouch on the hip belt, I used the zipped pouch to hold a few snacks. They are both too small to carry anything beyond a powerbar or a bag of snacks, they are too small to carry a normal sized camera or anything as large.

Overall the bag worked very well, I was not disappointed with it, or found any major flaws that would make me leave this in the gear box at home. As a comparison, I own and use the Gregory G Pack, 05 Model, and use it regularly, are the comparable, yes, but both have some unique features. I would say the Gregory fabric seems to me at least, a bit stronger overall, but the REI has a better bottom on the bag so it may not wear out as much. It also has a vrey narrow profile, which I prefer, it does not flair out from around your back, it seems to sit in a very nice profile. That may be handy if you are going through some places that may snag the bag as you pass.

So far in the short term, I do like the REI version, and will look forard to putting it through some more tourture!