REI UL45 Backpack $29 Closeout

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin said:
Overall the bag worked very well, I was not disappointed with it, or found any major flaws that would make me leave this in the gear box at home. As a comparison, I own and use the Gregory G Pack, 05 Model, and use it regularly, are the comparable, yes, but both have some unique features. I would say the Gregory fabric seems to me at least, a bit stronger overall, but the REI has a better bottom on the bag so it may not wear out as much.

Couchie chewed up my Gregory G this past weekend and spit it out! :eek:

It was ripped in several places on the top, and the mesh was torn as well.

I'm fairly tall, and the tree branches kept grabbing my pack and pulling me up short.

Couchie is a notorious gear stealer, and it almost got one of my gloves and a fleece! :( Thanks to Nancy for alterting me that my pack was spilling gear all over the trail!

Kevein- Glad to hear you're liking it so far because I ordered two, one for myself and one for my son. They'll be larger than what we use for cold weather packs now, making it easier to stuff in lightweight clothing.
But going through the REI site was dangerous and I ended up ordering about a dozen things from thier clearance.

Woo Hoo! Got mine today. Can't wait to use it. I also usually use a 3000 CI EMS bag that I love and have used for years for weekend camping trips. I am looking forward to seeing how this works out in its place.

Thanks for pointing it out. Great buy.

Keith

Me Too,

Got mine today, it was waiting on the porch. Looks like it will fill the gap for an inbetween packsize for me. Have to pack it up and get it adjusted tonight.

Rick, once again thanks for the heads up on the sale.

SAR-EMT40 said:
Anyone notice the nice little touch. It has a whistle on the sternum strap. :D Kinda neat.
Talked to a salesman at the Reading MA store about the pack--he was very thankful that the kids hadn't found it...

Grabbed one of the packs myself--thanks Rick for the head-up.

Doug

Wow!! Finally received mine tonight - I was starting to wonder what had happened to it.
A lot of very nice features in it as well. What a bargain. The first thing I did was reverse the metal frame stay as discussed on Whiteblaze. (thanks for reminding me Kevin).
Does anyone know what those two elongated buttons are for (like old style buttons you'd see on a tunic) ?? They are inside the pack, just above the hydration bladder pocket...
Thanks
Rick

Last edited:
Got mine too!! My lightest by far...Time to put another hook on the wall, it's getting crowded in here!

Good question, Rick, I wonder about the purpose of those 'buttons' too.

...Jade

I was too afraid to ask what those were for - I figured everyone knew...I have no idea either. I live close to an REI and I will try to stop by this weekend and find out.
FYI - my aluminum piece was in the correct way...go figure...

sapblatt said:
I was too afraid to ask what those were for - I figured everyone knew...I have no idea either. I live close to an REI and I will try to stop by this weekend and find out.
FYI - my aluminum piece was in the correct way...go figure...

Yes, I would be intersted in knowing. My thought is that perhaps REI has a water bladder holder hanging type pouch thingie that just buttons into it. Of course, I think the buttons are going to snag my gear as I pull it out or push it in, so I will probably just cut them out, once I find out the purpose.
I also really like those 2 little pockets on the hip belt.

Got mine-very nice. Just to give you a Thursday morning laugh I've been trying to figure out if the bar was in backwards or not in mine and even how to get to it at all. You see I've only owned daypacks and my 30 year old Kelty external frame pack so an internal frame pack was something new to me. The pack wasn't comfortable so I made one last ditch attempt before embarassing myself and asking how to get to the bar. Started just pulling at things and what do you know...velcro!! In my humble defense at not being able to get the thing apart I did have carpal tunnel surgery last week so I'm a bit handicapped working one handed. :eek:

Thanks Rick.
Since I always have to buy two (my son and I) of everything, this saved me a heap of money! :D

Toggles

The toggles are meant to be used with a bladder system to hold the bladder up. My Camelback does not have the corresponding holes, but my Nalgene version does. It also seems that the 2 liter bladder is the preferred size for the toggles and pocket.

It is a nice thing, but if you do not have the holes in your bladder, or at least holes you want :) , it won't make a difference.

Catch you later...
Kevin

I like the pack for many reasons, but.......the aluminum stay is very uncomfortable...is anyone else having a problem with it? On a recent hike, I took the bar out because it was really bothering me...I've turned it upside down and back to front with no relief....wrote to REI and was told "feel free to bend the stay to fit your back"....I'm afraid bending one time too many may break it...One option is to bring it to REI for assistance but the closest one is 100 miles away....
Any suggestions?

Thanks...Jade

Jade,
I couldn't get mine to feel comfortable either, at first. Put the stay back in and have someone mark where the bottom of it lines up with your hips.
Then remove it from the pack and put a piece of tape to mark the side that is closest to your back.
Then have your friend repeatedly line the stay up again with your back and bend it as needed for each of your contours, working up to your neck.

I don't think you need to worry about it breaking, as you wouldn't be bending it more than 10-20 degrees. (at least I hope :eek: )

If this fails, then I would make the trip in to Framingham.
Good Luck
Rick