Replaced my BD Flicklock poles but...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spencer

Reaction score
Maine Avatar: We could use some snow around here
...they seem to be be thinner than the old ones. I have a pair of ~4 year old Black Diamond Flicklock 2-section poles that have been awesome. They've been very durable and haven't given me any troubles until recently. The lower (inner) tube seemed to get a bit corroded, making the old in-out a bit challenging at times. I don't mean your run-of-the-mill corrosion, but a powdery kind of corroding. Well, whatever it is, I use some steel wool on them periodically and they are good for a while longer.

Then I got a minor bend in one of them and I couldn't collapse it very well. Then, as is often the case, the small bend turned into a big bend and then it was time to replace them.

So, I was in the N. Conway EMS a couple days ago and they were having a 30% sale on their "ski/board" department. The newer BD Flicklock poles were hanging right next to the skis so I asked if the sale applied. They said, "sure, what the heck" and so I now have a new pair of my favorite poles.

now for the question (are you still reading?):

has anyone else noticed that the newer ones are made from narrower/thinner stock? The old lower sections are 17mm in diameter while the new ones are only 15mm. I know that doesn't sound like much, but they feel quite a bit less "stout", and I'm a "stout" guy so sturdy and I go together like Al Bundy and what's her face.

Has anyone had any trouble with the newer ones? By the way, I'm talking about the ones with orange/yellow graphics on the upper shafts and a black and gray rubber grip. And yes, they have a "Made in Taiwan, Republic of China" sticker on them. What has happened to Chouinard's 2nd brain child? Is BD on its way to becoming the next North Face?

Thanks for any input you can give.

spencer

This is a bit of a stretch, but ... any chance the poles you got are really ski poles, and not trekking poles? You could probably deduce that by going to the BD website. Ski poles tend to be a bit thinner.

Also - maybe the 2 section pole is inherently stronger. I have a pair and I know exactly what you mean - they're rugged. My only complaint is that the carbide tip wears out too quickly and you have to replace the whole section because the tip is embedded in the shaft. OTH, replacement sections aren't much more expensive than a set of Leki replaceable tips.

Kevin

I had a pair of several-year-old BD Traverse poles. Fell on one while skiing this year and bent it (better that the pole gave than my arm).

Bought a new pair of Traverse poles. They're kind of a bronze color w/black gray grips. And I agree. They seem thinner than the old silver/black poles. They work okay, but I don't think they're as strong as the older version.

Which poles...the Expedition? I have bought replacement parts in the past, and they were the same stock. I had to completely replace the poles in the last year after leaving them at the trailhead ( :mad: :mad: :mad: ) and they were the same. They make a few different styles of ski and trekking poles. Sure they were the same?

BD always been my fav hiking poles (although I haven't tried leki), I just bought the new 3 sections-2 flicklocks (black foam handle) and I was also surprise to see a made in China sticker...

I bet that by the end of summer BD fashion t-shirts are gonna be sold next to the 30% off North Face stuff...

If Black Diamond is taking the road down, what else do we have left ? :(

Thanks for the responses so far.

Yep, they are the same. I should have said they are both Traverse models - both 2-section (I learned my lesson with 3-sections a long time ago). They are primarily meant as ski poles (and that's primarily what I use them for) but they certainly work just fine for trekking poles (they just don't collapse quite as muhc as 3-sections do).

Okay, I guess they are just going the way of north face.

Do college girls wear $100 BD ski gloves around campus yet?

Spencer

I seen students with their BMW's so $100 BD gloves are small potatoes.

spencer said:
I should have said they are both Traverse models - both 2-section (I learned my lesson with 3-sections a long time ago).

What lesson did you learn with the 3-section? I love mine, as they fold down to 22" and fit along side a pack. Just curious.

Sorry, I should have clarified.

Though 3-section collapse to be overall smaller, they have an extra joint, increasing the possibility for failure. I've bent/collapsed/broken too many to think they work for me. But I know they work great for lots of people. I much prefer 2-section poles, in part b/c I primarily use them for skiing. 2-section poles generally extend longer, also.

Spencer

I have a pair of BD poles I got about 4years ago and I love them but I too am experiencing one of them getting a bit corroded and sticking. Where do you find the replacement lower sections? My tip is pretty well rounded and I'd like a replacement. (No jokes please, it's a sensitive issue! :eek: :D)

Double Bow said:
I have a pair of BD poles I got about 4years ago and I love them but I too am experiencing one of them getting a bit corroded and sticking. Where do you find the replacement lower sections? My tip is pretty well rounded and I'd like a replacement. (No jokes please, it's a sensitive issue! :eek: :D)
Check here.

I just bought BD Contour poles for Pat and myself for our Utah trip. We've gone through at least 6 pair of Leki/Komperdell/REI poles and they're nonfunctional within 2 years, or they become untrustworthy - I winter bushwhacked PATN once with a pole that was as long as my arm - big help!

So, to all of you who recommend BD, I hope you're right!

Spencer, this winter I got a pair of 2-section BD poles in Tahoe when (surprise!) my Leki backcountry 2-section poles bent and collapsed. That day I had to ski with a friend's rather short alpine poles , ugh! The booklet says they are Carbon Fiber Flicklock - deep orange and black.