Rescue Copter today in Great Range Area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

una_dogger

Reaction score
I saw a Rescue Helicopter flying in the valley while hiking The Brothers/Big Slide today, I think it was around 2pm and it was a sobering experience (especially since I was solo).

Has anyone heard about any rescues?

I spotted a Helicopter in the valley heading up towards the Ausable lakes from UWJ on 3/31. I talked to another hiker about this and he informed me that helicopters are not uncommon in the area and said "if someone stubbed their toe in the Adirondacks they'll send in a helicopter". He alluded to something about the state paying for it or something of that nature (maybe something about the state police?????????)... I'm not exactly sure how it works up there, anyone care to give us all a refresher? :)

P3310023.jpg

Hey, let me know when you guys spot the Ice Cream copter because I'm sooo there. :D

Jay

Una Dogger: The heli you spotted in the Johns Brook Valley may not necessarily been a rescue one. The Adirondack Mt Club resupplies the Johns Brook Lodge in the Spring, flying out latrine wastes, and flying in bottled gas for the Loj and O'Brien Camp.

When I spot the ice cream copter, I will make a big clearing and spell out S.O.S.* with sticks and send up a signal flare.

* S.end O.ut S.undaes :)

How will I know it's an ice cream copter, you ask? Well, it will be trailing chocolate jimmies of course!

Jay

It wasn't the ADK Ice Cream Chopper, after all.

Crossposted from ADKHighPeaks, the chopper I saw was going to rescue an injured hiker from Gothics:

DEC RANGERS RESPOND TO SEARCH AND RESCUE CALLS

Department of Environmental Conservation Forest Rangers responded to several search and rescue call in the past couple weeks.

And on Wednesday, June 6 at approximately 2:00 p.m. DEC dispatch received a call from a hiker near the summit of Gothics Mountain in the High Peaks Wilderness Area. 22 year-old Danielle Rewolinski of LaCrosse, Wisconsin reported she had injured her knee and was unable to walk. Rangers with the help from the State Police Aviation Unit were able to hoist Rewolinski from the west summit and she was transported to Adirondack Medical Center in Lake Placid for treatment.

una_dogger said:
It wasn't the ADK Ice Cream Chopper, after all.

Crossposted from ADKHighPeaks, the chopper I saw was going to rescue an injured hiker from Gothics:

DEC RANGERS RESPOND TO SEARCH AND RESCUE CALLS

Department of Environmental Conservation Forest Rangers responded to several search and rescue call in the past couple weeks.

And on Wednesday, June 6 at approximately 2:00 p.m. DEC dispatch received a call from a hiker near the summit of Gothics Mountain in the High Peaks Wilderness Area. 22 year-old Danielle Rewolinski of LaCrosse, Wisconsin reported she had injured her knee and was unable to walk. Rangers with the help from the State Police Aviation Unit were able to hoist Rewolinski from the west summit and she was transported to Adirondack Medical Center in Lake Placid for treatment.

Oh dear! If I knew I would have to be hoisted out of there, I think I would crawl out! :eek: :eek: :eek:

Rescue on Giant

They were waiting for a woman who broke her leg near the top of Giant. It was so windy up there I'm impressed they were able to get her off the mountain with a copter. The woman was in good spirits and I hope she has a speedy recovery. Kudos to the DEC rangers. These guys & gals are great to see in action. Also kudos to the people who stayed with the woman for a few hours until help could arrive. I came upon the scene on my way back from Rocky Peak Ridge.

Wow, that must have been some scence to come upon, Laurie.

We hiked Whiteface and Esther today, and the winds were gusty in places. I agree that it must have been tough to get a chopper near the summits today.

Do not rely on choppers

The DEC does sends in choppers only reluctantly and only in serious situations and it is not always possible.

You and your party must be capable of self rescue. You and your party are your best chance of getting a injured hiker out.

Tom