Rescue Wagon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianW

Reaction score
I live very close to the Forks Area Trail System (FATS) in SC. It is a series of 35 miles of singletrack trails in 6 loops designed for mt biking. Very fun place to ride and trail run if you are ever in the Augusta, GA area. Do to the increase of accidents, the small local fire department designed and made a rescue wagon to transport victims out of the woods.

Since there are some here that are EMS/SAR you might find this interesting and as a possible way to help out.

http://www.carfirerescue.com./

This is what we use. The water bladder slides out easily and we can transport patients in the back with an attendant. I have seen lots of variations of those but some of those are pretty cool.

Apparatus

Problem we have is that the trail is 3' wide and sometimes less, in most areas. The local National Mt. Bike Patrol (which I am a member) have marked access points along the trail to fire roads and to some degree fire breaks and made maps for the local EMS to have in trucks.

Problem we have is that the trail is 3' wide and sometimes less, in most areas. The local National Mt. Bike Patrol (which I am a member) have marked access points along the trail to fire roads and to some degree fire breaks and made maps for the local EMS to have in trucks.

Yep. I understand. We still do litter carries sometimes on areas that this can't get through. Usually though, we are lucky that those distances are usually less than a mile. They look like some pretty good stuff. Well thought out.

Keith

Neat! One thing I noticed was the motorcycle used for pulling. It is a Rokon and back in the 70s it was a weird machine when it first came out. A friend of mine was loaned one to test out. Some people liked that it was automatic. It was also a cumbersome machine, not the swift and agile trail bike I used to ride back then. :cool:

Problem we have is that the trail is 3' wide and sometimes less, in most areas.
In the Adirondacks my SAR team uses a litter with a removable large wheel. The softly inflated wheel is quite large and easily maneuvers with 4 handlers over obstacles both on and off trail. It can be belayed down steep or slippery slopes with a couple of extra handlers.

Last edited:
In the Adirondacks my SAR team uses a litter with a removable large wheel. The softly inflated wheel is quite large and easily maneuvers with 4 handlers over obstacles both on and off trail. It can be belayed down steep or slippery slopes with a couple of extra handlers.

I've seen one of these going up towards Marcy at a high rate of speed, propelled by a couple of husky lads.

A similar litter is often used in the southern Sierra. Am quite sure a few of them are stashed up high on frequently used trails in out-of-sight places.

I saw something like that with the "Handler" accessory heading up the trail by the train station at the top of Crawford Notch. I wondered if they were going somewhere for someone or trying out new equipment.

The softly inflated wheel is quite large and easily maneuvers with 4 handlers over obstacles both on and off trail.

I've yet to participate in an evac in which the adverb "easily" was appropriate as part of any description thereof, including those done with this wheel. Well, OK, once, with a kid weighing less than 100 pounds and less than 200 yards from the road. Why do you think I became a dog handler in the first place? ;)