Reusing hand warmers

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Skiguy's post reminds me of another factor--tight clothing. (I just read a book involving winter Arctic travel--this issue is absolutely vital there... The author mentions a temp of -98* at one point.) Make sure that you don't have anything tight around your wrists (eg mitten or shell elastic), hands, ankles, or feet--it can reduce the circulation. I suspect that elastic socks could have similar effects... Tight boots (or stuffing too many socks inside one's boots) are known to result in cold feet.

* He doesn't say F or C...

BTW, it is also a good idea to take rings etc off in case your fingers swell.

Doug

DougPaul said:
The author mentions a temp of -98* at one point.)
* He doesn't say F or C...
Who cares! :eek: :D

But I do agree with the not too tight comment.

Skiguy, I tried the wrist thing but it did not work for me. :(

DougPaul said:
My reaction too... :)

Doug

This is about the point where spit and other bodily fluids must freeze in mid air if not sooner.

DougPaul said:
My reaction too... :)

Doug
Actually, it would matter to me. Fahrenheit and Celsius have diverged, somewhat (slightly) considerably, at the -100 range.

-100F = -77C

-100C = -148F

The lowest recorded temperature is -89C (-128F) [ref] so I assume we're talking -98F in this case. Despite my affinity for the cold I can imagine myself being somewhat unhappy with -100F but extremely unhappy (possibly superconducting!) at -150F. Note that the temperature on the surface of the sun is upwards of 10,000F.

-Dr. Wu

dr_wu002 said:
Actually, it would matter to me. Fahrenheit and Celsius have diverged, somewhat (slightly) considerably, at the -100 range.

-100F = -77C

-100C = -148F

The lowest recorded temperature is -89C (-128F) [ref] so I assume we're talking -98F in this case.
I had guessed that he was talking F, too. In practice, it doesn't matter to me because I plan to be elsewhere any time the temps get anywhere near -98, F or C.

BTW, his sleeping bag was only rated to -50F.

BTW2, the book is "Conquering the Impossible", by Mike Horn. A worthwhile read, IMO.

And to bring this back on topic, he was having problems with freezing fingers too.

Doug