Road Trip To The Whites, with stops along the way, 6/20/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIGEarl

Reaction score
June 20, 2009: Hale, Hancock, Hancock South Peak, Tecumseh

Trails: Hale Brook Trail, Hancock Notch Trail, Cedar Brook Trail, Hancock Loop Trail, Mount Tecumseh Trail

Summits: Mount Hale, North Hancock, South Hancock, Mount Tecumseh

Distance – Elevation: 19.2 miles, 7150 feet

Hale: 4.4 miles, 2300 feet
Hancocks: 9.8 miles, 2650 feet
Tecumseh: 5.0 miles, 2200 feet

Hikers: Hale Solo, Hancocks with Fitz, Tecumseh Solo.

I had a full day planned and decided an earlier-than-planned departure would be a good idea. I was actually on the road forty minutes ahead of plan. As it turned out, the extra time was very helpful. This Road Trip to The Whites started with my “first target” being the AMC Highland Center in Crawford Notch. My White Mountain Annual Recreational Pass expired and a new one was needed. I am part of the group that is happy to pay the annual fee to purchase the pass. After placing the pass in the designated location I was ready to start working my way back toward home.

My next stop, the trailhead lot for Hale Brook Trail. On the drive north, the weather conditions south of Franconia Notch were pretty good but as I passed by the Lafayette Place Campground the rain started and I needed to fire up the wipers. By the time I visited the Highland Center and then drove to the trailhead the rain had stopped, at least for a while. I pulled into the trailhead lot and found a couple others already there. It only took a couple minutes to pull out my gear and get started. I noticed a few biting insects near the start but after getting a short distance from the trailhead there were none on the trial. The Hale Brook Trail is wet with sections of running water on the trail and some mud pits. Nothing was difficult to get past and the stream crossings were easy to complete with dry feet. I was able to fall into a comfortable pace very quickly and made steady progress past the middle and upper crossings and into the switchbacks.

From the upper stream crossing to the summit the climb is easier due to the switchbacks. This section of the climb was also much wetter since it was in a cloud and heavy mist was falling. There are more wet and muddy spots but still nothing difficult. I made a mental note of each turn as I passed through the switchbacks and was quickly into the long, sweeping final approach to the summit clearing. A couple quick pictures and I made the u-turn back out.

I knew do truancy (Isabelle) and MadRiver were planning to hike a Hale-Bonds traverse with a later start and I expected to see them on the trail but I made it all the way out without meeting them. At the trailhead I stopped for a brief visit with another hiker that was preparing to hike Hale. Just as I was pulling out of the lot Isabelle and Rick arrived. We had a brief visit and were soon back to our plans for the day.

Next on my agenda was to meet Fitz at the trailhead lot for the Hancock Notch Trail. The target meet time was 9:00am. I pulled into the trailhead lot to find Fitz already there and getting his things together for the hike. I added some water to my pack and we set off for the Hancocks.

Suddenly, it’s mud season. The Hancock Notch Trail has a few pits but nothing like the Cedar Brook Trail. This trail seems like it’s one huge mud pit with a few high spots. Toss in some stream crossings and we can at least keep washing our boots as we go along. A short distance from the Hancock Notch – Cedar Brook trail junction we came upon three other hikers that seemed to be having a difficult time following the trail. It is confusing partly because of lacking trail markings and partly because of the various herd paths that branch off along the way. They fell in line and followed us to the Hancock Loop junction. Once again working with a very obvious trail they were all set for the day. We generally leapfrogged each other to the south peak. Here we all stopped for a quick break and a couple visited the outlook to check the views. I assumed there were none and waited for Fitz to return.

The mud showed up again between the peaks. Anybody that has been through at almost any time other than winter knows how muddy this section can be. There is one section of mud pits where a herd path detour is developing. We managed to make it through without a mishap. Poles are extremely helpful on this trail. We arrived at the north peak to find the outlook occupied by a group enjoying their lunch and a view of the inside of a cloud. We u-turned back to the trail and headed down. Along the way we passed a couple small groups and one very large group. There are sections of the Hancock Loop Trail descending from the North Peak that have a pretty good amount of running water – mainly toward the top.

At the bottom we passed by the stream which also feeds a large flooded area and then headed for the loop split. Since leaving the North summit we were looking for a place to stop and have some lunch. On the hike back to the Cedar Brook Trail junction Fitz found a couple rocks that did the job. We had a quick lunch break and continued our reverse hike of the Cedar Brook mud pits. We managed to stay clean and dry all of the way back to the trailhead.

At the trailhead Fitz needed to call it a day. He had a small leg injury and was running short of time due to evening commitments. We said goodbye and I took off trying to decide if I would also call it a day.

I made a quick stop at Lincoln Woods. Then, back on the road I made my way through Lincoln, onto I-93, and then off at Tripoli Road. It was almost like auto pilot was dragging me to Waterville Valley. After a quick pit stop at the Livermore trailhead I drove to the ski area. Except for one car with a woman, young boy, and dog the place was empty. It was still early and I felt good. So, out came the gear for a few more miles.

I added more water to my pack and set off on the Mount Tecumseh Trail. The trail was wet but had very little mud. The refreshments I had late in the Hancocks hike and during the drive (including a quart of Gatorade, salami and cheese roll-up, and a Monster Hitman) were kicking in. I was in terrific shape, all things considered. Quickly I fell into a comfortable pace and was generally able to keep moving all of the way to the top of the seemingly endless ramp to the ridge. From there I made my way past the Sosman Trail junction and reached the trail split that loops the summit. I took the high road in both directions. First, the final section to the summit was clear, dry, and even had some views to the west. I managed to hit the summit well ahead of plan, get some pictures, and u-turn back out.

The hike down was quick and completely uneventful. In a little over an hour after leaving the summit I was back to the trailhead and crossing to the ski area parking lot to pack and leave. I changed into more comfortable footwear, enjoyed the last of my Gatorade, and set off for the final section of my Road Trip to The Whites.

I managed a full day but it started and ended in daylight, which is a little unusual – for me.

Thanks Fitz – I enjoyed our hike of The Hancocks and hope your leg gets better soon.

Pictures will follow

:cool:

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

Last edited:
Jeepers, all added up that's quite a hike! Nice job!

nice trip(s) earl. i've seen a lot of people pairing up different hikes, but not too many hitting three in a day (when not going for some sort of record). that's making the most out of your day and your gas money.

bryan

I am really impressed. We met you on Hale May 2nd and you were motoring then. How long does a pair of boots last you?

I’ve posted some pictures from the day.

BIGEarl's Pictures

Straight to the slideshow

Wow, I got tired reading it, thats a full day!
Tony, It didn't need headlights on either end ;).

Jeepers, all added up that's quite a hike! Nice job!
Thanks Jeremy.

nice trip(s) earl. i've seen a lot of people pairing up different hikes, but not too many hitting three in a day (when not going for some sort of record). that's making the most out of your day and your gas money.

bryan
The price of fuel is going back up. The hike-miles per day is going up along with it. Just trying to keep my cost-per-peak down. :D

I am really impressed. We met you on Hale May 2nd and you were motoring then. How long does a pair of boots last you?
Thanks. The last pair of hiking boots I replaced had approximately 1500 miles on them. I'm still thinking about having them re-soled. They are really comfortable and fit well.