Saco River ID, please

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waumbek

Reaction score
Avatar: "World's Windiest Place" Stamp (5/27/06)
Can anyone tell me where the vantage point(s) for these 19th c. paintings of the Saco with mountain vistas are? I suspect there are several different sites and that most if not all of them are actual not imagined scenes. That would be consistent with the 19th c. artist's views and practice in the western Whites.

http://whitemountainart.com/SubjectGalleries/saco_river_gallery.htm

Looks like the Hudson Valley style, many Catskill pictures look similar.

A nice change from the digital look of today

top right picture could be the area near the golf course in N. Conway looking toward White Horse and Cathedral ledges.

Looks like the Hudson Valley style, many Catskill pictures look similar.
Which if I recall correctly means that they are idealized rather than exact views of anything

That said, #6 looks like Kearsarge North and #8 looks like Chocorua

Agree with RoySwkr on #6 and #8.

#4 and #5 could be further up river from N Conway golf course. Kinda reminds me of Humphrey's ledge (?) However I was only on that part of the river once and it was 20 years ago.

Although this reply addresses your question, it doesn't really answer it.

Once you get below the Crawford Notch State Park boundary, a lot of the land adjacent to the Saco is now privately owned. So, my theory is that many of the scenes (whether idealized or accurate depictions) shown in your web link are likely only viewed from spots that are now on private land. But, like I say . . . it's just my personal theory.

Also, as you most likely have already seen, I recently posted some views from a short bushwhack that I did on public land to the area where the Saco and Dry River join. It doesn't appear to me that any of the views in my posting match any of the scenes shown in your web link. But, if nothing else, perhaps it provides a hint of the many views that probably are/were available along this waterway.

Thanks to all. There are some inetresting leads and ideas here. A few further remarks on why I think these are actual places, even if somewhat idealized. Many of the White Mtn School painters, who, by the way, later painted the Hudson River whether or not they were bona fide members of the Hudson River School, were resident hotel painters in the summer. Their clients were often hotel guests, the kind who summered here, hiked, or tramped, and knew the vistas well. To wit, Frank Shapleigh was the resident painter for the Crawford House; you may have slept in his former studio, now an AMC bunkhouse at Crawford Depot. He has done a number of recognizable local scenes of the Crawford area as well as some Saco paintings.These client-guests wanted paintings of scenes they knew, hence the "actuality" of some of these paintings. Photographs, postcards, curios with mountain scenes and features, etc., all served the same purpose. In the western Whites, Artist's Bluff at the top of Franconia Notch, and Artist's View, down on Rt. 3 at the bottom of the Notch in Woodstock, were frequesnt vantage points from which painters produced likenesses of Franconia Notch, however romanticized. I am thinking that the Saco vantage point may be a similar artist's perch, so to speak, in the eastern Whites for hotel painters on that side. I have some leads now on where it might be. Thanks.