Search called off for missing kayaker

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As a "newbi" kayaker, all of the sad stories seem to have a common thread about "pfd was found attached to boat"...my friend asked me if I was wearing mine on the slow river, my reply was in less than 1 second, "yes, I am"..hope he is found safe..

Yes, that is a sad one. Sorry to hear that. Condolences to his friends and family if things do turn out sadly.
A lot of water is more "pushy" than it usually is.
A lot of talk about people getting caught up in strainers and stuff from the extra high flood water. (esp in smaller rivers)
Read the St Johns was also at flood stage up along the border.
I think it draws you along whether you want to go or not.

My condolences to the family.

The St. John (and others) is causing a lot of folks grief lately with pretty severe flooding up north. Most of our rivers in central ME are crazy high, too. I paddled Sunkhaze today and we could barely tell where the stream channel itself goes. I'm going to wait a few days for the water to go down a bit before running the Kenduskeag again...

Be careful out there, folks - high volume streams make paddling a whole lot more dangerous this time of year.

Thanks to the S&R crews out there looking for Mr. Swantak!

Spencer

According to the newspaper they recovered his body yesterday May 18th, near the mouth of the Waits River, the newspaper mentions the "debri filled Connecticut Rver" from the high water back then....