Seeking Advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schatz

Reaction score
Friends,

I am planning to return to NY over Labor Day (from Kansas) and will have one or two days to hike. I was wondering if I should hike the Santanonis or Skylight/Gray. In deciding which to do, I was wondering which was easier, and if doing Skylight/Gray, which trailhead to use. By and large, my pace is about on track with the McMartin Books, but I'd be especially interested in advise and relative times for the three options from those who have done these hike using various routes.

Which takes the least time- based on projected on traditional September conditions, Santanonis, Skylight/Gray from the Loj or Skylight/Gray from UW?

I've never hike from UW and would appreciate any advise for this or subsequent treks to Allen/Cliff/Redfield/marshall etc.

As always, I appreciate the help.

Schatz

Schatz, Since it took me four trips to get all 3 Santanonis, I've got to say that a hike up Gray and Skylight would be much easier. And there are actual trails, except for Gray (but an easy to follow herd path). I'd start at Upper Works and do Gray first, then savor the views on Skylight as long as possible before heading back down. A great thing about those peaks is that you have access to water all the way up. Even the trail to Skylight from Four Corners has lots of water! I hike slow, so my times are way off from McMartin.

Time-wise, an average hiker can plan on a 14 hour (+ or -) day in the Santanonis and about a 12 hour day (+ or -) doing Skylight/Gray from either the Loj or UW (personally, I enjoy the approach from the Loj).

You may want to take the weather into consideration, too. If rain, the spruce/fir along the herdpaths in the Santanonis will surely make you wet and perhaps miserable, especially if the temperatures are on the chilly side.

Skylight (my favorite of the ones you've mentioned) and Santanoni both have stunning summit views. Couchie and Panther less so, but they are both nice hikes in their own ways. To do any/all of the Santanonis, there is the mud at Bradley Pond to contend with. I found Gray to be very nice summit in winter (we were above the trees), a little less so in summer. For Skylight/Gray, I believe it is a little shorter and less climbing coming from UW, but some like the idea of a nearby shower and hot meal after the hike and might prefer to leave from the Loj. I'll note that recent rains have made the Calamity Brook trail extremely muddy (probably everywhere, for that matter). Sorry, I can't help much with times. I have posted recent trip reports for Cliff and Redfield in the Trip Reports section (my first time posting there). I also have our Allen and Marshall reports, and I would be happy to send them you. However, Mavs00's site (http://www.adkhighpeaks.com) is an excellent source. IMO, Allen, and Redfield/Cliff are best done as overnights, though we ignored our own advice for those last two!

I agree that Skylight and Gray require less time. I also agree with Willie that the weather is something to consider. The Santanoni's on a wet day are very muddy (they're muddy on a dry day!). Either hike will provide you with some great views if you get lucky with the weather.

Thanks for all the advise. I appreciate it. Based on the input, I think I'll try Skylight/Gray from UW. If anyone has any advise for the trail from UW I'd appreciate it. Thanks again Schatz

I'm not sure what info you're looking for. The Calamity Brook trail is quite straightforward, starting on private land, and moving to state land in about 2 miles or so. You cross Calamity Brook twice, and the second time you have your choice of rock hopping or the high water ladder/bridge. From that point the trail becomes significantly muddier (my experience last Saturday), and there is a perpetually muddy area in the vicinity of the Henderson Monument, about .3 miles or so from Flowed Lands. Blue markers become Red, and you circumvent Flowed Lands on an annoyingly muddy, up and down section. You'll cross Herbert Brook in about a mile. The cairn for Marshall is just beyond, there is a good view of Marshall from the bridge, and a nice designated camping spot not far away. Eventually you come out to Colden Dam and, probably, lots of campers. The trail goes by the camp sites, crosses a bridge, and stays on the south side of the Opalescent, with beautiful views of the flumes. Trail from here has several muddy sections, but overall not too bad to the Uphill Lean-to. It's been some time since I've hiked from there to Feldspar, but I remember it being easy. The Yellow Feldspar trail is steep but not too bad. Eventually it levels out and you come to Lake Tear. A large cairn, just before you get to the lake, marks Gray herd path, which is rather short and straightforward. Continuing on to Four Corners, Red trail to the right takes you quickly and fairly easily to the summit of Skylight. Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but there it is.

easiest route

Are you sure it's shorter from UW?

I am planning on hiking SKylight/Gray this weekend.

Using McMartin's book, I come up with...

Loj -> Marcy Dam -> Avalanche Camp -> Lake Arnold -> Feldspar Brook -> Four Corners = 2.3 + 2.65 + 1.6 + 1.6 = 8.15 miles

UW -> Calamity Brook -> Colden Outlet -> Opalescent Trail -> Feldspar Brook -> Four Corners = 4.4 + 1.1 + 2.25 + 1.6 = 9.35 miles

This is a one mile difference (two if you count that it's a round trip).

Am I missing something?

Grey, Marcy, and Skylight are do-able in a day. Personally I prefer to hike in from South Meadows (Marcy Dam) to Lake Colden, and stay the night, then Hike the peaks the next day.
Here is a recent itinerary of what we did last trip out. Avalanche pass is spectacular.

Thursday night: 45 minute hike from south meadows to marcy dam, crash in Leanto. (3 Miles)

Friday: Hike to Far Leanto on Lake Colden, set up camp, hike Marshall.

Saturday: Marcy via Grey. Skylight can also be added. Return to Colden Leanto.

Sunday: Hike out, about 6 miles.

Just a thought.

-percious

Yes, I double-checked with my Topo program, and it is indeed two miles shorter starting from the Loj than UW. BUT, there is 500 more feet of climbing. So, there is a tradeoff.

Also if starting from Loj, you can consider hiking to Four Corners by Feldspar Brook. Climb Skylight first and then Grey. Follow the herd path to Marcy from Grey. Then, return by Van Hovenburg trail to Loj. This does not add much elevation gain as opposed to returning by way of Lake Arnold (because of the 500 feet gain on the return). And it would be all downhill after Marcy. Though, from reports the herd path from Grey to Marcy seems rough.

Thanks again for all the help. I'm more concerned with time vs distance of the hike. Additionally, based on my mother's reports, the Hudson Valley has received lots of rain recently. Although I'm not hiking until Labor Day, I'd appreciate any thoughts on the which trail is best to Skylight/Gray if the rain persists. Schatz

All trails have their muddy sections. Consider this approach: Loj - Marcy Dam - Lake Arnold - Feldspar Brook - Lake Tear ... then climb Gray and Skylight. Return the same way, or if you're motivated, return to the Loj via Marcy and the Van Hoevenberg Trail.