Seeking Backpack route advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed Poyer

Reaction score
Greetings!
My wife & I are looking for some ideas for a 2-3 day backpack somewhere in the southern sections of the Adirondaks on Columbus Day weekend. The tough part is we'd prefer to avoid the crowds. We'll be driving up from RI, and would prefer not to drive as far as Keene Valley. We hope to hike about 7-12 miles per day, with or without some elevation gain. Camping near water is preferred, but not essential. Peaks are not essential, but views of some sort are always welcome. We are only familiar with the High Peaks section of the Adirondaks (mostly in winter), and would like to get to know other areas. Just for reference of our background, we are experienced backpackers, and have recently enjoyed a delightful, 8 day, 65 mile backpack in the Sierra.

Would you share some suggestions?

Ed

Park at upper works trailhead and hike into flowed lands or Lake Colden, four to five mile hike in depending on F.L. or Lake Colden. From there your options are many.

Crowds should not be too much of an issue. I hiked Algonquin and Wright a few years back on Columbus weekend and saw nobody on the summit, excepting a summit steward and a vole.

Snow should not be an issue but ice may be present. Stabilicers or similar device should be adequate, if needed.

A section of the Northville-Lake Placid trail may fit the bill for solitude.

How about a 4-5 day backpack along the Pharoah Lakes region, would be fairly laid back, moderate hikes, camping near/at a different lake each day and not in the high peaks region, would be closer than Keene Valley too...

Jay

Columbus day in the US is the same day as canadian thanksgiving so a 3 day weekend for both sides of the border. May be more crowded in the high peaks region than the southern ADKs

You might also want to look at the Lake George Wild Forest. You could park at the Upper Hogtown trailhead or at Dacy Clearing, hike up and over Sleeping Beauty Mtn. and head to Fishbrook Pond for camping (two leantos). From there you could go to Black Mountain and then down to Lake George.

The walk along Lake George from Black Mountain Point, going south, to Shelving Rock is really beautiful. You could also climb Shelving Rock before heading back up to your car.

There are a number of loop options in this area. All provide camping near lakes and a couple of nice mountains with views. Millman Pond also has a leanto and there is a leanto at Black Mtn. Pond (nice but not as pretty as Millman or Fishbrook).

We drive from Massachusetts to this area, mostly on state highways. PM me for more info and/or directions.

Pat T

Check out the West Canada Wilderness. You can do a nice laid back three day loop with plenty of loons, lakes and leaves.

Pat T said:
You might also want to look at the Lake George Wild Forest. You could park at the Upper Hogtown trailhead or at Dacy Clearing, hike up and over Sleeping Beauty Mtn. and head to Fishbrook Pond for camping (two leantos). From there you could go to Black Mountain and then down to Lake George.

The walk along Lake George from Black Mountain Point, going south, to Shelving Rock is really beautiful. You could also climb Shelving Rock before heading back up to your car.

There are a number of loop options in this area. All provide camping near lakes and a couple of nice mountains with views. Millman Pond also has a leanto and there is a leanto at Black Mtn. Pond (nice but not as pretty as Millman or Fishbrook). Pat T

I agree, nice loop possibilities. I'd add Greenland Pond to the list (access from trail junction near Fishbrook Pond). The trail might be a little "sketchy" in places (gets little traffic), but the pond is lovely. There is a lean-to there, but no outhouse. Fishbrook Pond is beautiful (a lean-to at each end of the pond, the nicer one, IMO, being at the southern end), but is a very popular destination as a result. There is a horse trail to that pond, and except in winter, you may find "signs" of that. Millman Pond, has a nice "boardwalk" from the lean-to out into the pond. Both the L.T. and its outhouse are one of the nicest I've seen, with attention to detail in the L. T. and outhouse provided by the caretaker (check out the reading material in both!).

Thank you for the help

Thank you all for the helpful suggestions. These give us a good options for this weekend, plus a few others. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
Ed

West Canada Lakes or Cedar Lakes or both from the Moose River Recreational area, start at Otter Brook, do a loop. lots of lakes, usally not many people.