seeking solitude hiking near Rutland

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miehoff

Reaction score
Staying at Gifford Woods campground. Would like to know about quite beautiful hikes in this area. Would love lots of views and preferably a loop of 8 -10 miles. Less popular is better! Thank you

These aren't loops, but they're good hikes -

Pico & Killington via the LT from Sherburne Pass and/or

Killington via the Bucklin Trail off Wheeler Road.

One of the NEHH is also accessible off Wheeler Road, but it's not much on views.

Most solitude likely, beautiful trail but least views (only one viewpoint looking west at the top of the trail, but it's a fine one): Canty Trail up Blue Ridge Mountain.

Another beautiful trail, likely to be quiet and with some (but not wide open) summit views, is over Shrewsbury Peak from the CCC Road.

Deer Leap, up to the cliffs at the top of the Rte 4 gap, is short but has the views.

If you don't mind bumping into a few people at Killington, and can get a ride, it's 12 miles from the CCC road over Shrewsbury Peak to Route 4 via Killington & Pico. Just a few miles longer to walk it all the way to Gifford Woods. You could grab Mendon along the way if you want the NE100 peak, I think I remember peak_bgr did it from Little Killington.

Most of the longer hikes in the area involve some use of the Long Trail, so they don't count as less popular. Killington/Pico from the N is one of the most popular, but it can become somewhat of a loop by using the old trail from Sherburne Pass and the new LT from below with a roadwalk.

You can make a loop on Bald Mtn and also Blue Ridge Mtn for less popular hikes that add to 8 miles, see Day Hikers Guide.

You'd want to check the status of the CCC road prior to heading up there... it was damaged in Irene and may not be open.

Killington is a nice hike, but it's not likely to grant you solitude unless the weather is bad.

Most solitude likely, beautiful trail but least views (only one viewpoint looking west at the top of the trail, but it's a fine one): Canty Trail up Blue Ridge Mountain.

This is a very nice hike that isn't too difficult. I did it one afternoon this summer to watch the sun set- it was pretty apparent that few people use it. It's only about 6 miles round trip, though. The views are ok, but the trees are starting to grow up and obscure them unless you stand on tall rocks (I think the views up there were created by cutting down trees). I've got some pictures from when I was there this summer here: https://picasaweb.google.com/116537596394442741068/BlueRidgeMountain

Why not try a hike in the Big Branch/Peru Peak Wilderness areas? This time of year, the area should be devoid of all but the most hardcore through hikers (LT or AT). A round trip hike up the Old Job Trail to Griffith Lake, with a return over Baker Peak via the AT would be about 10-12 miles or so with fairly easy grades. The Old Job trail in particular gets little use, and takes you through the site of a former logging town, which is pretty neat. Plus the views from Baker Peak are worth it.

Check out my photos from when I was there this summer if you need further convincing: https://picasaweb.google.com/116537596394442741068/BigBranchAndPeruPeakWildernessAreas

Last edited: