Self heating coffee

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onrhodes

Reaction score
I don't know if any of you have seen these self heating coffees yet, but check out http://www.ontech.com/
I tried the Mocha Latte the other day and it isn't too bad. Little pricey at $2.50 each at Hannafords. Still cheaper then your $5 starbucks though.
What struck me as cool though was the ability to use this on peakbagging days or even backpacking trips (though the weight/bulk might make more then 1 or 2 a silly idea).
I'm not trying to sell anything and I don't have any affiliation with the company, I just thought it was a cool product. Yes, a thermos would work just as well....

Have a good day everyone

Thanks

I don't think $2.50 is a lot to pay for a fail-safe hot drink in dicey environments. The only problem here is that it is a dehydrating caffeine product. Hope the company comes up with chicken soup, etc.

jjmcgo said:
The only problem here is that it is a dehydrating caffeine product. Hope the company comes up with chicken soup, etc.

It is a proven fallacy that standard brewed coffee is dehydrating. Research from as long as 5 years ago has shown that the water intake more than balances any dehydration due to caffeine's diuretic effect.

If you're concerned about dehydration, maybe you should watch all that sodium in the chicken soup...

[/unabashed defense of coffee]

If it's the caffeine jolt you're in need of then I've found chocolate-covered coffee beans are just the ticket when a cup or two of coffee isn't possible. 6 or 8 of those little darlings will give you the same heart palpitations as a big cup of Starbuck's Columbian.

Chocolate melts easily, though. You trend to end up breaking off a chuck of them rather than individual beans as they fuse together.

Seema, I have seen these on small counter racks at several quickee style stores. I haven't seen any at the local 7-11 yet. I am wondering if it is cometition to their fresh coffee business (since fresh hot coffee has such an high profitability markup)

I just saw those things..trying to remember where...I'll also second the part about coffee not being dehydrating. the liquid in the coffee offsets it and more. Straight out of one of my cycling books.

A Little Small Voice inside of me...

Though I love coffee and think that, in theory, this is a great idea (did I mention I love coffee?), I do wonder if these self-heating cups are pretty foul for the environment? I assume they're full of some chemical I wouldn't want to necessarily toss into the ground? Just a still, small, green voice I hear whenever I reach for one at Hannafords.

sli74 said:
Cool !!!
Do you find it where the other coffee is located or some place else?

sli74

At the Concord, NH Hannafords there was a big display of them near the deli. My bet is that eventually they'll be placed in either the coffee section or the soft drink/bottled drink section.

Also, I don't think there is any "bad" chemical to worry about.
Here is the MSDS about it http://www.sciencestuff.com/msds/C1449.html
From what I understand it is just lime that has been "cooked" and it has a chemical reaction with liquids.

So while I wouldn't go handling the stuff with bare hands, I don't think it's an environmental hazard.