seward range dec. 22 ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Day!

To all:

Pvon for organizing this event and stomping out the shortcut -- thanks.

Pigpen, John Swanson, Nan, John (not Swanson), Bill, Rick who 50peaks and I hiked with at some point yesterday -- great hike. Hope you all got back safely.

By the time we had gotten back to Donaldson from Emmons everyone else had vanished. As it was 2pm at that point we decided to head down rather than over to Seward. A smart decision for many reasons (including partial equipment failure on my MSR snowshoes on the way day -- they lasted until we got to the car but were not as stable as they should have been).

Got back about 5pm.

Cheers,

Ebbinghaus (AKA Wayne)

Hi all,
Nice to meet everyone along the way. Maybe some of us can get back out there and finish off Seward soon. We were the last ones out so everyone made it out safely. Trail is now broken out up to Donaldson, over to Emmons, and part way to Seward. Don't believe anyone made Seward so maybe we could help PVON finish it off sometime soon. Great day out to start the winter season.

Hi All

Nice to meet you all, and thanks for the ride in. I got my butt kicked by a thick section about halfway to Seward from the junction (500 feet/hour). It took me two and half hours to get from the junction to my turn around point, but it was fun trying. Definitely interested in another shot at it.

Another Attempt: Ready to DO IT Again

Hello everybody. I'll bet you all can guess what I want for Christmas! Another attempt at Seward while the road is driveable and the track broken by Pig Pen and et al over toward Seward.

My first choice plan is Monday, Dec. 27.

Options are Sunday, Dec. 26 (I know one, maybe two for Sunday) and;

Third choice being Wednesday, Dec. 29 (I know Wayne or 50 Peaks was thinking that day).

It would be a repeat of the 22nd trip except maybe we could stage at 6:15 AM! With Seward being the primary goal.

Here's the facts for the for anyone following this "SEWARD ATTACK" thread:

The Dec. 22nd party was one strong and experienced party. The bulk of the party left the summer trailhead before 6:30 AM. Emmons was achieved by 1:30 and an effort to follow Pig Pens track toward Seward was accomplished to probably 0.3 mile short of the summit. They returned to the summer trailhead about 6:30 PM. Everybody got pretty wet with the mild temps and wet spruce down lower. Fee's for the Corey's Road ferry ride were gladly paid by Nan in the obligatory gumdrops.

Anyone want a gumdrop?

Sean, how'd you guys do?

Pvon

PS: When I got home after the hike my wife told me I'd received a telephone call from Mark, the fella who signed in the trail register 12/21. He saw my name in the register and remembered me from meeting on Seymour several years ago. Those were his bareboot tracks you followed. He thinks he got to Seward but didn't have a GPS.

Last edited:
Hey Phil, my partner and I did great, even considering it was my first hike since the end of October and I was keeping a close watch on a tight hamstring. Excellent route through the blowdown area. Someone must have cleaned that up this summer? That summit maze was a trip for sure! WIthout my real compass I was sure my internal compass was right ... only off by 180 degrees! John S and crew (can I borrow some energy from Nan for next time!?) did a great job over to Emmons, seemed to stay on the summer path most or all the way over. I'll keep in touch about heading back in next week.

re-attack

Pvon said:
Hello everybody. I'll bet you all can guess what I want for Christmas! Another attempt at Seward while the road is driveable and the track broken by Pig Pen and et al over toward Seward.

My first choice plan is Monday, Dec. 26.

Options are Sunday, Dec. 26 (I know one, maybe two for Sunday) and;

Third choice being Wednesday, Dec. 29 (I know Wayne or 50 Peaks was thinking that day).

It would be a repeat of the 22nd trip except maybe we could stage at 6:15 AM! With Seward being the primary goal.

Phil,

Greetings. Actually next Wednesday is the day I cannot make it. Thursday, 12/30 is the day I can.

I am pretty sure I will be going out somewhere on Thursday so if the group goes out earlier best of luck to you. If there is anyone who wants to meet early next Thursday (and if the road is still opened, etc) be sure to let me know.

sewards

Hi All,

Kelly and I are planning a hike for the 26th, but not sure where we'll go yet. We have a few ideas, but if a party is going to the Sewards, we might come along. We're summer 46rs and about ten or so into our Winter 46.

On our way to our summer 46 we ended up hiking for 18 hours on the last day of April from Blueberry leanto, to seward, to donaldson, to emmons, and then back to the leanto. We had to park at the bridge on our way in. On our way back out, they opened Corey's Road. Doesn't everyone have some sort of fun story about the Sewards? :)

Let us know what your plans are.

Mark and Kelly

I don't know what precip fell since last night. The forecast (for what it's worth) predicts little additional between now and the middle of next week. So the track may still be there and there might be little new snow-cover reason to close the gate. I'll be hiking on Wednesday and Thursday (12/29 & 12/30) and eager to take advantage of the favorable conditions to push the rest of the way to Seward. Please post your plans.

Pvon, thanks for putting in a track as far as you did. It made our trip alot easier. Too bad the prep did not pay off for you Wednesday. Hope you get it soon. And I hope I can join you.

Great to meet you all and to hike with most of you.

Don

Phil, Monday weather looks pretty good as of now. With the road open, and my legs starting to feel life in them again, I am itching to get back in there. I'm pretty open all of next week, though a dryer day would be preferable! Since I also need Seymour I will probably try to work that in during this open road stretch as well.

Any takers for Seymour? I think I'll start a new thread to sniff it out ...

Thanks for a fun hike on 12/22. The company was great and I'd be happy to meet up with the group again to finish off Seward. I'm (Rick) available any day next week, except Monday. I'd really like to finish off the last bit to Seward and also get back in for Seymour before the gate closes.

I'll keep an eye on the board to see what develops. Happy Holidays!

Rick Balboni

I'm pretty flexible with days for both Seward and Seymour. I like Tuesday, Thursday, and/or Saturday best but I can entertain other days too. Looks like someone should just start picking days or a day with a back up plan in case weather cancels. Anyone? Pvon?

I am off all of next week. It's time for me to clean up the mess I made trying to go to Seward. If you you guys will have me along again I am interested. Any day is OK. I will be staying in Keene on Sunday and Monday Night.

Merry Christmas everyone!

I'm leaning toward Monday, 12/27. Sunshine and mid-low 20's are forecasted. The moon rises at 5 pm but that would still yield illumination if we're out past 5:30 PM. I've got one, for sure, to join with me and another possible on Monday.

My second choice is Tuesday for Seward.

Pig Pen, I'd love to be successful with you and would enjoy hiking again with some visibility to our favor.

For those looking for Seymour, you'll still have more time later in the week if you go for Seward on Monday. Sorry Rick B. that Monday doesn't work for you.

Pvon

Pinpin Junior ask me for You...

Hi Pvon, ;)

Junior think may be Pvon lose other things!!

If all stay in the same direction, after I will return in Laval tomorrow and work in the La Cordee store for the Boxing Day, I will return early the december 26 evening and it is the Junior plan to go with You the 27, if You like.

Merry Christmas everybody......

Pinpin Junior :)

Yes Junior !!!

:) Merry Christmas Junior!!! It would be an honor to hike with such a favorite and special rabbit who leaves the best tracks in the Adirondacks (and elsewhere too).

Joining our party would be a thrill for all.

Hope Santa is kind to everyone and brings peace on earth to all.

Junior, I hope you get what you want for Christmas too!

:D