Seymour Mountain 9/27/2009

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guinness

Reaction score
Seymour Mountain 9/27/2008

While the weatherman predicted a rainy day for both Friday and Saturday, I did not let this stop me for a visit to this challenging hike. Seymour can be a wet and slippery hike especially on the slides. The trip started with a Friday off from work. I drove in from Western NY arriving at the trailhead at 12:45 pm. By 1:05 I was heading down the trail toward Blueberry lean-to.

As it turned out, the weatherman was half correct as the rains started 2:58 and I arrived at the lean-to at 3:00 - perfect timing. The lean-to was all mine for the rest of the evening. The rains continued for the next 8+ hours.

Arising in the morning with the sunrise, I prepared a hot breakfast and fixed my pack. By 7:40 it was trail time. Arriving at Wardbrook lean-to, I met 4 other hikers also preparing for Seymour. The previous day they did Emmons, Donaldson and Seward and were finishing on Seymour for this trip.

I did put on gaiters at this point knowing how wet and muddy the herd path could be. As it turned out, the herd path was not as muddy as I thought it would be. The ascent up to the 3,200 foot level was uneventful. Here is where the slides start which was wet-n-wild in places. Somewhere around 3,500 there is a side herd path that navigates away from the slides (right side) which I took. This route meandered through the woods and had one section you had to jump onto a fallen bare and slippery log which was angled about 30° up and walk along about four feet over a crevasse formed between two rather large boulders. This tests your mettle while solo hiking. You had to see it.

This herd path soon joined back onto the main slide and not much further you arrived the top of the slides. The remainder on the route up was completed and I was at the summit. I could hear the group of four following me as I went up and they arrived at the summit a few minutes after me. They also followed the side herd path and commented about the fallen log and the discussions that followed about going over and up the log. The trip back down is always the hardest part for me. I always take extra care for footing and to not let my bum knee get over extended. The group of four passed me near the top of the slides.

Around the 3,000 foot level I ran into the Hansel and Gretel family. A group of hikers wandering up Seymour in street clothes, tennis shoes, limited gear and GPS leading the way. What appeared to be the Dad, was looking at the GPS and turning his body to line-up with the direction. It reminded me of Forrest Gump locating a direction while steering his shrimp boat. As I approached they asked if this was the way to Seymour. What else could I say but “yes”. I really wanted to say what the f%#k are you doing back here. I would have enjoyed seeing the group hit those muddy slides in their street clothes and tennis shoes.

After I passed the group, one of their tribe was coming up. In no way in shape for this hike as he was panting heavily and had a glossy look in his eyes. “Did you see my group” was his comment. I said yes I did and they are wandering up the trail slowly. He commented that he hoped they know where they are going. My confidence in this group went from little to zero. He then asked me if I knew where we were to which I said “yes - I know where I am” and I left.

This day turned out to be a perfect day. The sun came out around 12:30 at which time I was back at the Wardbrook lean-to. I moved onto the Blueberry lean-to and repacked all my gear for the hike out. I would run into the group of four at the parking lot and they offered me a cold one which I gladly accepted. They were a nice group of new friends and I hope to meet them again on these trails.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice day as it turned out. I like Seymour - fun stuff in there. I had forgotten that there are so many options when you get on the rocky section.

Feel sorry for the slower hiker of the Gump family outing. Oh - what fun!! :rolleyes:

Good to see you out and about. Getting ready for winter, no doubt!!

Hey, nice trip report Ed... You should of told the Hansel and Gretel family that you were on Marcy. :D

Jay

Hey Ed,

Nice report and I like your website too!

When I bump into folks like the "Hansel and Gretel family" I just want to run away from them as fast as I can.
(before I open my mouth...only because I worry about them)

yes nice TR and nice job helping as much as you did..even though they where not prepaired its our duty to give some help IMO. On a happier note i did seymour and o=the other 3 this yr. too and loved it..only wish i didnt eat 5# of bugs and had more time to enjoy the vast views offered. :D