Sheltered summits

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To add a couple more comments on VT peaks -

Ellen - The small bldg at the top of the chair is used by the top operater in winter, so wouldn't be available to hikers then. However, I've never found it locked in off-season, and have used it several times to grab a sandwich. It's tiny, but can hold 3 or 4 if you all stand up.

Killington - There are actually 3 bldgs at/near the top. The restaurant (previously mentioned) near the gondola and chairlift, a utility bldg for the radio/transmission equipment, and Coopers lodge (I think that's the name) on the LT. It's unheated, and on the Pico side of the summit.

Just a general comment - if you find yourself stranded at/near the summit and in need of shelter, do a complete check of all doors, including staff/utility doors. And, if it's life-threatening - don't need to say more here, but just use common sense. I hate to read stories of people freezing to death because they lost their vehicle keys and are found beside their vehicle, dead, with rocks nearby. Apparently it didn't occur to them to break a window with the rock.

Mt. Tecumseh has the top lift shack of the "High Country" double at the end of the Sosman Tr.

Though not really at the true summit, I have found it unlocked in summer/fall months (and SWARMING with flies.)

Some more random mtns

NY
Balsam Lake (firetower cabin)
Red Hill (firetower cabin)
Mt Tremper (leanto on the summit)
Overlook (firetower cabin)

Kevin Rooney said:
Just a general comment - if you find yourself stranded at/near the summit and in need of shelter, do a complete check of all doors, including staff/utility doors. And, if it's life-threatening - don't need to say more here, but just use common sense. I hate to read stories of people freezing to death because they lost their vehicle keys and are found beside their vehicle, dead, with rocks nearby. Apparently it didn't occur to them to break a window with the rock.
ADK Ranger Pete Fish once had the misfortune of discovering the body of a man who had frozen to death, apparently while struggling to get into a bivy bag. It pays to know your gear and to know when to use it.

I was going to add the Shelter between Breadloaf and Wilson, but I imagine there are quite a few high shelters along the LT. So, I summarized it with a link to the LT.

I also summarized the AMC Huts in NH.

Waumbek said:
Cannon has shelter--the summit tram building is open--when the tram is running. It doesn't run at night, and it can close down in high wind or other adverse weather conditions.
When I stopped by to use the facilities on the way north, I found that the tram and base station are closed Fridays and Mondays now. I don't know if the summit building stays open to serve skiers coming up from the lift base. (I can't find hours of any sort on their website.)

(There was a shelter at Thunderstorm Junction as well?)

Kevin Rooney said:
Ellen - The small bldg at the top of the chair is used by the top operater in winter
There are several ski area buildings on the Ellen-Abraham ridge that might be useful in a pinch; unfortunately the whole ridge blurs together for me so I don't remember which summit is the top of the ski area with the large building.

jniehof said:
There are several ski area buildings on the Ellen-Abraham ridge that might be useful in a pinch; unfortunately the whole ridge blurs together for me so I don't remember which summit is the top of the ski area with the large building.
If you're referring to the large bldg on the ridge which is open year round, that's 2 or 3 miles north of Ellen, towards the Starks, and is part of the Mad River Ski Co-op. The small lift bldg I referred to in my previous post is about 150 yards north of Mt Ellen.

Also - no shelter in/near T-storm jct.

In Vermont:
East Mountain, a 3k with 2k prominence north of Burke, has an array of abandoned buildings on top that could offer shelter.
Gore Mt., another 3k with 2k prominence, further north, near the Canadian border, has an old firewarden's cabin right at the top. Right now it's sealed by five feet of snow.

In New Hampshire:
South Baldhead,(edit), a 3k along the Cohos Trail, has an excellent newly constructed leanto with a great view to the SE. It's a few yards from the mountain's actual high point.

Last edited:
If you are doing the Abraham-Ellen traverse, as you go towards Ellen from Abraham, in addition to all the little named subpeaks, after you pass the signed Ellen mt submit, you go another 500ft or so down and you hit an open ski lift (Sugerbush Ski Resort).

I think when i was there last year, the lift building was actually locked (it was in August) but the big cargo netting they put there makes for a very very comfortable hammock while waiting for friends to show up. :)

jay

South Baldface, a 3k along the Cohos Trail, has an excellent newly constructed leanto with a great view to the SE. It's a few yards from the mountain's actual high point.

Do you mean Baldhead?

South Baldface has a leanto down below the eastern spur, nowhere near the summit. (And is not on the Cohos trail.)

Doublehead Cabin

This cabin is kept locked all year round, as far as I know. Make a reservation with the Forest service to get a key. There is a woodstove inside.

You caught me, nartreb...
South Baldhead's the one I meant to reference.
This OLD head gets confused easily, often mixing up the various Baldheads and Baldfaces, not to mention the Baldpates east of Grafton Notch.
You might say I was "all bald up" again this time.
jt

Kane Mountain (in the southern Adirondacks) has a cabin (associated with the fire tower) on the summit.

Marcy used to have an emergency shelter on the summit, but so many people started using it as a non-emergency shelter for camping (and for taking dumps inside of it) that it was dismantled (by dynamite, if the story I've been told is to be believed).