Sherpa snowshoe decking material?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AOC-1

Reaction score
The recent thread on the pros and cons of today's snowshoes inspired me to unearth my beloved Sherpas, still in great shape after 20 years, but equipped with a binding that can slowly reduce even a lumberjack to tears. The Dremel cleanly removed the rivets holding the old bindings in place. But before I can install a cannibalized Tubbs binding I will need to reinforce the old rivet holes. Anyone know where I can get the decking material? Thoughts on using heavy duty fiberglass boat fabric?

If you are installing pop rivits, use brass washers on the bottoms so it forms a larger area at the ends that buldge out when crimped. Aren't the crampon plates covering the holes under the bindings?

I'll have to take a look at my Sherpas n see what you are talking about. Pics would help?

You might be able to find something suitable from a sign and awning company that carries polyurethane sheeting like Coolthane, which is used on the Northern Lites snowshoes. It's thinner than the Sherpa decking, but super rugged and very light. I've used material from the roll-up kiddie sleds in a pinch, but it's not very durable.

Anyone know where I can get the decking material?
I don't know what Sherpa uses, but neoprene and nylon (a sheet of neoprene with nylon fibers in the center) is commonly used for decking, straps, and bindings.

You might ask for some at a place that does repairs (eg REI).

Doug

Several years ago, I wanted to do some repairs to mine. I brought the snowshoes into every fabric store I could find around here and couldn't find anything similar.

I ended up getting a bit of nylon webbing and riveting this to the decking. A strip above and a strip below.

If you have twenty-year old bindings that you disdain, you have the ones that I like and my wife loathes. I really shouldn't be helping a heathen non-believer, but I'll give you points for holding onto them this long.

Far from here, there's a magical place where folks still understand and honor the power of the Sherpa. And lo, they doth stock parts and wouldst verily be ready to help thee, most likely:

IRL Supplies in Prince George, B.C.