Short Essey on Cell Phones & Wilderness

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
+1 for both Stan and RoySwkr.

It's not the technology, it's how you use it. As I mentioned out in the last thread about this, orange spray paint and vuvuzelas are decidedly low tech, but could do a lot more harm to your "wilderness experience" than someone's cell phone could. I think I agree with Doug, this one deserves a yawn.

And while it's off topic, IMHO removing blazes and bridges is just dumb. There is a population that uses trails, and they expect to be able to follow them. And there is a population that truly desires a wilderness experience (instead of just complaining about it), and they are willing to travel off trail to get that. A poorly marked and maintained trail is just an invitation for trouble. If you don't want the trail to be there, close it completely; don't leave it as an attractive nuisance booby trap.

Kind of a dumb article I thought.

I didn't embrace cell phone technology but, after resisting, I went a step further and got a SPOT device for my wife's peace of mind. I often go alone, both on trailed hikes and bushwhacks and now she can click the link and see where I am, and that I am moving. I can send her "I'm OK" emails and if the sh*t hits the fan I can press SOS, which might bring help quicker than if a partner had to go and alert the authorities.

In my case, having the communication device won't give me a "false sense of security" (that line of reasoning seems like a crock to me anyway).

Interesting thing is now that I carry this new piece of techno gear I tend not to want to carry a gps anymore because how much freaking electronic gadgetry in the hills does one want to be dicking around with?