Showers or hot tubs between Adirondak Loj and Pinkham Notch Camp

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcskier

Reaction score
Ashfield, Mass. Avatar: Homage to a friend
I am planning a bucket list ski blitz of backcountry routes during the Feb. break from teaching school. I expect to be living out of the back of my pick up truck for five days and am wondering if there are might be a couple of places I could stop in to get clean between hard days skinning and skiing. Places I'll be staying near: Adirondak Loj (seems they have coin-op showers but are they open in the winter?), Stowe, Jay Peak, and Pinkham (I know about the coin-op showers there). Alternatively some place that has hot tubs for hire, etc. would also work well for me.

Grateful for any suggestions.

I am planning a bucket list ski blitz of backcountry routes during the Feb. break from teaching school. I expect to be living out of the back of my pick up truck for five days and am wondering if there are might be a couple of places I could stop in to get clean between hard days skinning and skiing. Places I'll be staying near: Adirondak Loj (seems they have coin-op showers but are they open in the winter?), Stowe, Jay Peak, and Pinkham (I know about the coin-op showers there). Alternatively some place that has hot tubs for hire, etc. would also work well for me.

Grateful for any suggestions.
The Loj is open for showers all year round. You enter thru the back of the building.

Ask the AMC if any of their locations have what you want.

Pinkham has coin-op showers in the basement of the main building for the hiking public, but if you are staying there, in the guest room building there are showers (not coin-op) in the rest rooms.

I did the trip. I can safely say there are showers out there for someone who is doing things "on the cheap" as I was. Where I found them: Adirondack Loj and Pinkham Notch were both mentioned but there is an untapped source that no one mentioned. Two places I was able to get showers for much less than the price of a room, were Johnson State College in Johnson, VT. (their gym and fitness center allows day visitors for $10) and St. Johnsbury Academy in St. J., VT has a pool that is open to the public on a single visit basis as well. The person at the desk let me in for 1/2 price to just use the shower in the boys locker room ($5). I would think there are other such institutions with similar policies.

Though I didn't take advantage of it, The Swimming Hole, in Stowe is also open to day-use visitors for more than either of the above locations. If I'd been in search of a hot tub at the time, the waterpark at Jay has a single use fee of $35.

The skiing was all I hoped for. Though the Adirondacks were in a bit of a snow drought, I ran into 2 feet of fresh powder in the Jay Peak area. My goal was to find some nice untracked lines in the woods in backcountry locations and I was successful at that. I was also interested in checking off some of the classic backcountry trails (much like the recent NY Times article) and I was successful there. I guess I can go back to work now. Happier.

$5 for a shower doesn't seem that cheap to me :D Just kidding bcskier, I'm sure it felt way more than $5 to you!

Jay