Signal Ridge to... 2/23/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
sawyerriver.jpg

Sawyer River and Mount Tremont as seen from Sawyer River Road

Signal Ridge to... the first water crossing. Yep, that's as far as we got. We drove 125 miles, hiked 2 miles along the Sawyer River Road dodging snowmobiles, started along the Signal Ridge Trail through 3 or 4 inches of unconsolidated powder thinking "This is great!", then the first brook... The conditions today were perfect for climbing Carrigain. The sun came out, it was warm, around thirty degrees, no wind down low. The road was well packed and the going was easy. As we went the snowmobile traffic began to pick up, but most were courteous and slowed down and gave us plenty of room. After the steady, gentle climb along the road we came to the kiosk at the start of the Signal Ridge Trail. The trail was obvious even though it was covered in new snow. "Wow, no one's been here yet, this will be awesome!" We got in about a quarter mile, shaking powdered sugar from the trees as we went so as not to get soaked while we passed, then we came to the first brook crossing. The brook was obviously still swollen from the rain and melting over the past week. The snowshoe track we were following started again on the far side. I looked around to see if there was another, better place to cross, but saw no track in any direction. I decided to step down with one foot and see if it held me. If it would hold me, it would hold Jude and Emma together. It held. I began across, Emma bounded past me towards the other side. About halfway across the ice began to sink. It felt as though there was a layer of soft ice over older, more solid ice. I took another step. It let go, in I went up to my knees. Emma had almost made it, but the ice behind her gave way and her rear legs went in. She was hanging on by her front paws. Her rear paws couldn't reach bottom, so she couldn't push off to pull herself up. In two steps I was there and pulled her up and out. There was no real danger of being washed away as this was a pool we were in and the flow was nothing of note, but now we were wet and on the other side. Jude was still on the far side. I started looking for a better place to cross back, but Emma's herding instincts kicked in. This was not good to her, we were on one side, momma was on the other. Back she went the way we came, with the same results. Halfway across, in she went and was now in the same predicament, front paws trying to pull herself up and not touching bottom with her rear. Again, there was no chance of her washing away down stream, but she was stuck. At this point my concern was not for her, but for Jude, "Stay where you are, I'm already wet, I'll get her!", I shouted. Back into the brook I went, not even trying to find a way across, just splashing through the water. Surprisingly in a situation like this, you just react to do what you have to do and don't feel the cold water. Honestly, the water feels colder in August when your body temp feels like 200 from the heat and humidity and the water feels like 1 degree colder and it would be ice. Much more a shock on your system. So, here I am, water up to my knees, pull the dog up and off she goes up the bank and out of harm's way. Now I crunch through the rest of the ice and up onto the bank. Jude managed to get one boot into the water, but her foot didn't get wet. Gaiter kept the water out of her super-insulated winter hikers from Lowa. My A-solo plastic mountaineering boots were, however, filled with water. I immediately sat down on my pack and got them off, pouring the water out. I pulled the soaked wool socks off and wrung them out. Jude gave me Emma's polartec jacket from her pack and I dried my feet and soaked what water I could from my boots. Problem was now, I had no dry socks. Jude had some, but I couldn't get them on. I wrung out my socks again and pulled them back on and put my wet boots back on.

This was amazingly fortunate in many ways.

1) It was not cold enough for my socks to freeze.

2)My mittens were wet from pulling Emma out of the water, but again, it wasn't cold enough for my hands to freeze.

3)We were only 2 miles in, and it was an easy, downhill road walk back to the car.

4) Emma shook off and her wet fur didn't freeze and clump. Her wet feet were fine on the hike back out. She regularly jumps in streams on our hikes, even in the coldest temps, so I wasn't worried about this. We do our best to keep her out because we know that people use them as water sources. Always take water from upstream of a crossing. You should be filtering or boiling it anyway.

5) It screwed up a hike on a "perfect" condition day, but when I think about how badly wrong it could have gone, I think we were very fortunate.

Many years ago, I learned in the Air Force why there should be redundant safety systems. If one fails, you can count on another. I should have had dry socks with me, maybe even dry pants, but the thing is, my gaiters were soaked and starting to freeze, and even if I had dry socks, I would have had to put them into wet boots. If I had been way out on a cold day, I could have been in a real bad circumstance. Now, dry socks, no excuse, but who carries dry boots or gaiters? I'm not sure what I could have done differently, outside of find a better place to cross, and I'm not sure I would have found one, anyway.

Naturally, I was bummed out that the hike was over on such a perfect day. Actually, it was more like PO at being so stupid, but I convinced myself that there wasn't much I could have done to prevent it, short of staying home today. I then had to be thankful that things didn't turn out any worse. I had dry boots in the car. I stopped and got dry socks on the way home. I have nothing to complain about. Chances are the mountain will still be there when we return.

I would like to open this up for comment. What should I have done differently? Was there a way to lessen the amount of water that got in my boot? What do others do at questionable water crossings?

KDT

Kevin said:
What should I have done differently?
I hate second guessing, but since you ask :)

Seeing that the stream crossing was doubtful, return to Sawyer River Road, continue over the bridge, and bushwhack to where the trail comes out after the stream crossing.

Thank you!

This occurred to me, but only after the fact. When we return, I may just take this course from the start. I'm not sure what the next few crossings would have brought. Maybe better, maybe worse.

KDT

Whoa! Glad about all that worked in your favor. I am terrified of water in winter if I'm far from truck or home. Serious business. Glad all three of you are fine and ready for your next adventure!

Can't help with advice. Last time I was there in winter with high water I opted to just stay on that bank and bushwack around aimlessly, too afraid to cross. But, I followed some nice moose tracks that led me to a yard. I also followed fresh tracks of a coyote pack and found curious blotches of blood and fluids. I had a wonderful hike.

So, my only comment is to bail on tough crossings in winter. :cool:

happy trails :)

Thanks!

All considered it could have been much worse, so I'm definitely not complaining. Actually, the crossing did not seem that bad. I wouldn't have attempted it if it was a roaring brook. It was calm where we tried to cross, just deep.

KDT

Kevin said:
I'm not sure what the next few crossings would have brought. Maybe better, maybe worse.
On two winter Carrigain trips we bushwhacked past the first crossing and had little difficulty with the others.

No warranty, but that is the hardest crossing of the lot.

A bit like the Little River crossings on the North Twin trail. The first two are often very difficult; if you bypass them you will, with a little bit of luck, be able to cross the third one.

Good to know

This is good to know, as we will be going back to get Carrigain.

We've done the Little River bushwhack on every trip except our first, and had pretty much planned on that route for our winter hike. Can hardly call it a BW anymore, can you?

I've always respected your opinion and ability to break down the incidents that occur in the mountains. I have probably learned as much by reading your accident reports as I have from actual experience. So, that said, how dumb was this? Was it poor judgement and unpreparedness, or would you chalk it up to just one of those things that happens? You've been kind so far, so I'm giving you the chance to speak freely. My feelings won't be hurt, and hopefully others can learn from my mishap.

KDT

Thank you for your kind words!

Many accidents in winter are caused by the decision to "Go" when the wiser course would be "No Go". "No Go" does not mean stay home; it means hike elsewhere.

A few winters ago two AMC groups met at the Lafayette trailhead. Our group was planning just Lafayette, Ed Hawkins was planning a traverse. There was a strong wind, but the forecast called for it to drop by mid-morning.

Our group was not very interested in peakbagging, so we decided to bag Greenleaf Hut and, if the wind dropped as promised, go on to the summit. Ed's group wanted peaks, so they crossed under the parkway and bagged the Kinsmen. Both decisions were safe, both gave enjoyable hikes.

During this past week there were several postings on high water levels. You should have thought carefully what that meant for your plans. I believe that had you thought it out before the trip you would have figured out that the bushwhack would get you past the first, and worst, stream crossing. Or you might have decided to do a hike with no serious stream crossings.

Once you got there you should have given serious thought to the alternatives: turning round or finding a way round the stream (i.e. bushwhacking). Testing dubious ice, especially with a dog who may not wait for you to decide whether or not it is safe, is risky.

As for emergency gear, I carry a complete set of spare inner layer: polypro top and bottom as well as socks. Years ago I was taught how to keep fresh socks dry in a wet boot: two plastic shopping bags. Zero cost, zero weight :)

I will end my sermon by repeating something I find myself writing in almost every issue: "All plans are based on a set of assumptions; should those assumptions not hold the plan MUST be reconsidered." In most cases "reconsidered" does not mean stay home; it means do a safer hike.

Note that I have not answered your question: "How dumb was it?". Not because I don't want to hurt your feelings, but because I think it is an irrelevant question. The real question, and the reason I write those accident reports, is: "What can I do to avoid getting into that kind of situation?". I hope to have answered that question.

Last edited:
Thank you, Mohamed!

I am certainly not the most experienced hiker around, but I have survived three rounds with the NH4k's. I don't know if it was overconfidence or complacency, but I just did not do what is now so obvious, and stop and think before moving on. We were only a 1/4 mile in. It would have been quite simple to return to the road, cross the bridge and BW back to the trail. While I spent some time looking for a way back across after the first plunge, there was no obvious "better way," and I should have considered turning around before the first plunge. Sometimes my ability to think ahead is blocked by my anticipation of the hike. I've been guilty of this more than once. I promise myself to slow down and think more.

It cracks me up about the plastic bags and socks. What kid that ever grew up in New England never had their mother put bread bags over your socks before putting on your boots? Dry socks, plastic bags and my ski bib will now be permanent fixtures in my winter bag, next to my dry hat, gloves and emergency stuff!

KDT

Kevin said:
It cracks me up about the plastic bags and socks. What kid that ever grew up in New England never had their mother put bread bags over your socks before putting on your boots?
Putting the plastic bags outside of your socks will cause sweat to condense inside the bags and soak your socks. (Not an issue for an hour or so, but it will become an issue after a full day. Ask anyone who has used K-boots...)

A better strategy is to go full VBL + water proof outer. (Very thin sock next to your feet, VBL plastic bag, heavy insulating sock, outer plastic bag.)

Doug

We had one of our group fall in last winter but he continued on. On the way back,we bushwhacked instead of crossing the first crossing again.

That's too bad

Glad he could continue and hope he suffered no ill effects. It was pointed out to me that had I bothered to reread the White Mountain Guide about this trip, it states in the first paragraph:

"A crossing of Whiteface brook less than .2 mi. from the road may be difficult at high water; at such times it may be best to avoid the crossing by bushwhacking up the south bank"

If I had bothered to do this simple thing, which I normally do, I would have crossed the bridge on the road and done just that. Call it cockiness, complacency, whatever. I had done the trail several times and didn't bother to reread the trail description. Poor judgement.

KDT