single vs double wall tents

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newjeep123

Reaction score
Any opinions on the merits of a single wall tent vs a double wall. The lighter weight of the single wall appeals to me but I worry that the ventilation may not be enough for good ol muggy new england.

Double wall. When I compare the cons...a miserable night's sleep versus carrying an extra pound or so...easy choice for me. Double wall.

A lot of it depends on the ventilation of the single-wall tent. Some are better than others. I have both, but my main tent is the MSR Missing Link which is single wall. In summer, it is even cooler and allows more air circulation than any double wall I've ever used (and there have been plenty). But I have also slept in a single wall, a Bibler, that was noticably more stuffy. However, it was also a 4-season.

I've got one of those Eureka Zeus single wall tents. At one point in time it was the lightest (2 person 3 lbs 10 oz), although now I think it can just claim the title of least expensive (about $160, I think).

I've had it for several years and I like it. I don't use it exclusively, as it does have it's disadvantages, but it is damn light, and is perfect for one person. When it rains or is humid and the vestibule has to stay shut, it does get kinda soggy. I remedy this by wiping down the walls in the morning with a bandana as soon as I wake up. It helps a lot. If the weather is nice I keep the vestibule open and pulled back over the tent, and then there are no ventilation problems.

The vents aren't so good on this particular model, although I bought it four or five years ago when they were really just hitting the market, so there are probably a lot of improvements by now. This particular tent has low vents on the sides, so I have never used it in winter because it can take on a "drafty" feel.

Personally, I like my single wall. It sets up ridiculously fast and is very light for a two person. It has it's drawbacks, but doesn't everything?

Check out this company

http://www.bigagnes.com/

I just bought the seedhouse SL1. Double-walled, free standing and super lightweight. I've slept in it a few times and it's nice to wake up with nice dry walls in the morning. I've never owned a single walled tent so I can't really say which is better.

Good luck.

-MEB

Depends on what you are going to use it for. I have a Bibler for winter use, and have never experienced an internal snowflake or a drop of water. Breathes much more than an TNF Expedition that we used to use. Summer? I'd probably stick with a double since if it's not raining I like to sleep in just the screen.

I too have the Big Agenes seedhouse2. I hope it performes the way I'm praying it does. Very light for a two person double wall tent. I leave for a 8 day or so hike with it next week. Have not stayed out in it yet but set it up a few times. I have several tents and none of them set up this quick and easy. The one thing that is really neat and it is not advertised by Big Agnes but I read about it on a forum so I tried it and it works.....you can set up just the footprint+pole assy+rainfly in the rain while keeping the tent body completely dry, then throw the bacpack in, crawl in to it, dry any water that got on the footprint while setting it up, then take the dry tent body out of the backpack and set it up inside/under the shelter of the rain fly. It requires a little maneuvering but I was able to completely set it up, get in it, and have it all hooked to all the right spots and zipped up without ever having to get out from under the rainfly. Take down in the rain would be just the opposite motions. All my other tents have sleaves for the poles which would make this impossible. The Seedhouse is a clip design, maybe all clip tents could be put up this way but don't own another so couldn't tell ya. But the fact that I tried and can do it with the seedhouse I think will be a welcomed feature when I get caught out in the rain.

big fan of 2-wall for summer at least. i could be wrong but seem to recall reading single wall tents were orig designed as weight savings devices for winter expeditions. as others have said/implied for summer nothin beats versatility of two wall with lotsa mesh on inner tent. few years ago i created own tent system w/ homemade tarp & net tent under. Tarp is fairly big (9' x 9.5'...?) weighs 18 ozs w/ lines attached. differs from std tarp in that has angled awnings each end for drainage and as such can be battened down in bad weather. Net tent is old discountinued 2-person MSR picked up for $50. weighs aprox 2 lbs. necessity of net tent is has bathtub floor and rest all mesh. use as ground cloth, dry weather bug tent, wet weather flood insurance. tarp always goes up, only issue is whether sides up or down. at least two major mfrs now offer this set=up, MSR & SD.

FWIW, I owned a Eureka Zeus 2 which I carried and used in Alaska for 2 weeks. I got back home and sold it immediately on Ebay. It was always damp and clammy and there was always moisture on the walls - even when I left the door open.

I then used a sylnylon Betamid for a season and found much less condensation occurring - I usually kept it 2"-4" off the ground though.

I now use an MSR Missing Link with the overhang which affords me the opportunity to leave the door wide open - even in downpours. I only have SOME condensation in it if there are 2 people sleeping in it causing the long backwall vent to be blocked, or if it is cold out and I have to zip up the door to retain warmth. (Note: In downpours with the door wide open, I have found the insides walls tend to become damp and have to be wiped down)

While I am a fan of single wall tents due to simplicity, light weight and the space vs weight ratio, I really now only like double wall tents because I absolutely hate soggy tent walls and wet ends of my sleeping bag (I am 6'1"). The MSR Missing Link is so long that I don't have any chance of hitting either wall with my sleeping bag.

I do find that in the humid NE, SWs have their limitations, but preferential site placement does help - especially if you can face the door to any prevailing breezes.

Last edited:
newjeep123 said:
I worry that the ventilation may not be enough for good ol muggy new england.

I've owned at one time or another both single wall and double wall tents. It's been my experiance that neither is inherently superior to the other with respect to condensation. The key to managing condensation IS ventilation. The better a tent is designed to vent (not nessaserily the tent with the most ventilation) the drier inside it will be. With that said, there's no such thing as a condensation free tent 100% of the time. Heck, I've had condensation on the underside of my 8'x10' sil-nylon tarp!

Onestep

Rick said:
I now use an MSR Missing Link with the overhang which affords me the opportunity to leave the door wide open - even in downpours. I only have SOME condensation in it if there are 2 people sleeping in it causing the long backwall vent to be blocked, or if it is cold out and I have to zip up the door to retain warmth. (Note: In downpours with the door wide open, I have found the insides walls tend to become damp and have to be wiped down)

While I am a fan of single wall tents due to simplicity, light weight and the space vs weight ratio, I really now only like double wall tents because I absolutely hate soggy tent walls and wet ends of my sleeping bag (I am 6'1"). The MSR Missing Link is so long that I don't have any chance of hitting either wall with my sleeping bag.

I do find that in the humid NE, SWs have their limitations, but preferential site placement does help - especially if you can face the door to any prevailing breezes.

"Hi, my name is Charlie and I own a Missing Link." I like it a lot, especially because I travel only with a midsize dog that doesn't block the back vent and because I always get to sleep in the roomy half. Not sure I'd want to share it with another human for very long. It has to be pitched right to stay dry, and then it does.

As others indicate here, I think the key to single wall success is design. I don't have the $$$ for any single wall winter tent that I'd want to own. The Missing Link is my summer and warmish shoulder season tent, and a TNF VE-24 is my hardcore windy winter shelter. (Yes, 24, not 25. :eek: Yes, it's outrageously heavy for solo tripping, but only if you're carrying it, not dragging it. And if your furry companion drags it, you hardly notice the weight at all . . . )