Skiing Isolation?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brobichaud

Reaction score
So, both Mike (NH Tramper) and myself, have just Isolation left to finish our respective Winter 48 lists, and I'm wondering if the route up from 16 is skiable? Of the two times I've done Isolation, one was an out and back from Glen Boulder, and the other was a traverse up Davis from 302, exiting via Rocky Branch. It was dark when we descended Rocky Branch, so I don't have a good idea as to how open the woods are, how wide the corridor is, etc. I know the rain the other week has left a nice (sarcasm) crust in most places, and I'm sure this area is no exception. We both have AT gear, and I know that there will be sections where we'll be doing the "snowplow of doom", heels unlocked, and skins still on. Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks! :D

It certainly has been skied, but it was pure survival mode from my recollection. You may benefit from the approach but it wouldn't be effective IMO to keep the skis with you all the way to the top.

It was a favored ski peak along with Moosilauke, Garfield, Carrigain in days of yore when these peaks were mostly birch glades and you could make your own route where the trail was too steep, with scrub growing in it may be tougher now [hint - use the Engine Hill bushwhack if it's broken]